Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Deliberate Self Care: Happy Light

happy light

I bought this a little late last doldrum season. It was one of those things that I kept talking myself out of, because unlike a cute pair of shoes or a new outfit, this is just not one of those fun, exciting purchases. I think I bought it in February, and by March we were getting enough sunshine that I didn't really feel I needed to use it anymore. Ah well. This year I'm giving myself a jump start. Half an hour of happy light next to me while I'm reading in my favorite chair. Whenever I sit down the dogs snuggle me, so between the light, the reading and the snuggle-pups, how can I go wrong?

**I'm opening comments for the next few posts. Please feel free to chime in with any ammunition you use to fend off the mid-winter jickers. ;) **

8 comments:

Chrissy in Chaos said...

I teach dance and find that I am less doldrummy on the days I have taught - exercise defo works! (but has to be something you love) Also - just wanted to say how much I love reading your blog. I have 3 boys myself. :)

Rachel said...

First, I love your blog. Been reading for a long time now, and so glad I could comment to let you know.

As for winter - I've found reading-or sewing with my Ott-lite or other full spectrum light also helps. I can see well and get the benefits of the light at the same time. Incidentally, if I spend too much time under it, it actually becomes hard to fall asleep.

ScaryGodmother said...

I do agree with Chrissy in Chaos about the exercise! Goodness knows that I was better off when I exercised daily. Just getting back into the swing now. How do you like the lamp so far? BFF bought my husband one, but really don't think he EVER used it! I should pull it out and use it, before I hit him over the head with it!

PS: Thanks for always sharing your thoughts :D

Sarah said...

Remember how I dreamed you moved to Cleveland? Well we don't have much light here either. Exercise is key for me. HARD exercise esp spinning! Snow walks are good too. I am going to try snowshoeing this year.

CowRoad said...

Yes, mine went on last week!

Jean C. said...

So could you please give me the name of these lights? My folks live in Eugene, Ore. and because of other types of health problems... can no longer go to Az. for the warm/sunshine. And... do they give off any type of UV rays? Thanks so much.
DJCogdill@q.com

Make It Happen Mama said...

Any advice on which brand/where to buy? We just moved to Portland from Dallas this summer and I am absolutely shriveling up from the lack of sunshine up here! :-(

Chara Michele said...

I totally need to get one of these for our Seattle winters... This year's winter seems extra worse, since we never really got a summer either. I keep talking myself out of purchasing one too, but maybe I just need to jump on it :)

Loving the "self care" posts :) Such a great way to keep yourself feeling better during the long, grey winter :)