Sunday, November 06, 2011

Deliberate Self Care: Chia

chia

I've been eating (actually drinking) chia seeds for a few months now and am in love. A nutritionist friend of mine recommended this to our family when I was worried that one of my sons (a picky eater) might not be getting enough protein. I ordered some and was immediately hooked. In addition to protein, chia provides omega-3s, fiber, antioxidants, calcium, magnesium, blah, blah, blah...look it up. My hubby (the runner) was also hooked when he found out that this is the superfood of the amazing barefoot Aztec runners.

Chia seeds come in white or black, whole or ground up. Some people add a spoonful or two to their smoothies. Other folks add a couple tablespoons to a glass of water, stir it, wait until in turns into a gel, which they keep in their fridge, and then add chia gel as they wish to juice or recipes. I used to do that, but now I just keep a bag of it on my countertop and stir it in to whatever I'm drinking.

This is how I started drinking it--a small spoonful in my juice (watered down, always):
chia in OJ

Over a couple of weeks, I graduated to drinking it straight up in a mug of hot water. I let it sit for a couple of minutes so it soaks up some liquid.

I also like it in coconut milk. I'm not going name my favorite brand, but I will tell you that it is "so delicious." ;)chia in coconut milk

Chia doesn't have much taste, but if you have a hard time with different textures, it takes a little getting used to. When I first started drinking it in juice I'd pretend they were kiwi seeds, and when I'd drink it in coconut milk I'd pretend they were tapioca balls like you get in boba tea. A week or two later, I found I was accepting them for the wonderful little tooth-sticking youth-keeping anti-inflammatory seeds that they are.

**I'm opening comments for the next few posts. Please feel free to chime in with any ammunition you use to fend off the mid-winter jickers. ;) **

5 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Ok here is a new thing for me. I have to look it up and discuss this with my training friend who is a nutritionist. Humm you trigger my curiosity. One of my favourite thing in winter blood orange and fennel salade with extra virgine olive oil and a few drop of balsamic.

CowRoad said...

Sounds pretty fabulous! Where do you get them and how much is the max you should take per day?
I'm taking about 3 tbsp of ground flax seed at the moment in a yoghurt/ banana smoothie every day for breakfast...
PS I love to see your comments open! :-)

Joanna said...

I love flax seed too, but I just don't have the space in my refrigerator. I order my chia on the internet, but you can get them at Whole Foods. I don't really measure anymore, but I'm guessing I get between 4 - 5 tablespoons/day.

z barras said...

Sadly I'm not sure if we can get this in the UK :( but I really loved your post about the self care and tried hard to take note, I even ate breakfast this morning! Also wanted to quickly add off topic that I LOVE your blog, its one of my favourites to read and its nice to be able to leave a comment :))
Best wishes
Zoe x

Laura said...

Tried it today with Coconut milk.(from Trader Joe's) and I warmed it up a bit.. and let it sit out for awhile.. and how YUMMY it was.. especially when you know how good it is for you!

Happy Chia!