Monday, October 31, 2011

Deliberate Self Care

Last week I spent a beautiful long weekend visiting my sister in TX, doffing the sweaters and jeans and wearing summer clothes again. When I got home--don't get me wrong, Seattle is a pretty place--I found myself groaning at the prospect of Winter. We get the occasional sunny day, but the rain and constant dreary indoorsiness of Fall (although it's not bad yet) and Winter really do a number on my disposition. I wouldn't say I get depressed, because I still have the drive to do what needs to get done. However, I find myself doing lots of eye rolling and my general goodwill toward men (and women) shrinks away--not to return until the sun comes back.

SO, in the interest of self preservation, I have decided that THIS winter, unlike the last 10 winters since we've lived here, is going to be a season of deliberate self care. What that means is that I'm going to really make an effort to take care of myself. Not on the outside (i.e. mani-pedis), but in terms of health and wellness. I take care of lots of little people, and my little people need me to be at my best. They need me to be a patient, healthy, non-eye-rolling mom. This season I will do what I need to do to feel my best. This means giving myself permission to do the things "they" say to do that I've thought about doing, but haven't tried. This means instead talking myself out of things, i.e. "that costs a lot of money for something that may or may not work," I'm going to give myself permission to try new things...to listen to my gut and do what speaks to me. This means setting aside time for myself each day to do what I need to do in order to be a fully (and better) functioning me.

If you're living in TX or somewhere warm where you haven't even turned on your heat yet, feel free to tune me out for the next little while. But if you can relate and are making healthy adjustments to your life this season, YAY YOU, YAY ME, YAY US!!!