Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Closet: Part 1

015

When we were young and childless we lived in a old house that needed lots of work. We had big projects going on all the time and every weekend we put our hearts and souls into that place. I remember the good old days when we could redo a room over two weekends. By redo I mean remove paneling, scrape off the glue that held up said paneling, skim coat all four walls, sand them smooth, prime and paint. Then the next weekend it would be ripping up carpet and installing wood floors, sanding, painting, trim. . . the works. Fun times. I can hardly remember what it feels like to have all that energy and momentum.

My current project both underwhelms me (it's dinky) and overwhelms me (in how long it is taking to get done). It's been languishing for weeks, so I figured it would do me good to blog about it, because that would give me a little motivation to just get it done already.

007
Hello. I am the neglected closet under the stairs.

The plan is to transform this teeny space into the game closet. Right now we keep the games upstairs, but it just makes more sense to keep them downstairs, because that is where we do most of our hanging out anyway.

008

The walls were a bit of a mess, so I decided that anything would be an improvement. We'd recently been at an open house where these people had decorated their wine cellar to look like Tuscany, so I decided to try that here. I don't know if it's a fail or not, but figured a closet would be a good place to experiment. So what I'm saying is that these walls are NOT the before picture. Try not to feel sorry for me, 'K?

013

This is the one lonely bulb that lights the room. Something will have to be done about that.

Tomorrow I'll show you the other wall. . .brace yourself!