Sunday, May 09, 2010

Little Cabin in the Woods Part 1

This was designed and built by my husband's grandfather in the 1930s during the depression in Pennsylvania, not too far from Falling Water. He was an architect who was influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright. My husband's grandmother had an eye for collecting antiques and glass bottles. We're fortunate that this is still in the family, and whenever we have the chance to go there we feel like the luckiest people around. This is perhaps one of the most charming places I've ever been.

little cabin light

little cabin chair

little cabin knick knacks

little cabin deer

little cabin heater

little cabin bottles

10 comments:

Wren said...

Oh, I have that exact same heater. At least from this angle, it looks like the same one. It heated our farm house for many, many years. I'd love to have it converted to natural gas so that we could use it in this house. It's so pretty.

quinn said...

More pictures,please! I live in a tiny house in the woods built around 1920, but mine was definitely NOT built by an architect ;)
It's always fun to see other little homes!

Pumpernickel Pickle said...

looks like paridise to me!

Little Ol' Liz said...

I love a place with character and knicknacks. The "real simple" lifestyle suits many, but I'll take the loved and lived in every time. You are indeed lucky that this home remains in your family.

Ruhammie said...

OH-WOW! You are so lucky that your family members allow you to enjoy such a beautiful place. We have a family cabin near Naches, however, when my dad's cousin inherited it from a great aunt, she stopped letting family enjoy it. Rustic log exterior walls with concrete in between them, river rock fireplace...some of my favorite childhood memories come from that cabin. :)

Doris said...

You ARE the luckiest people around... would love to see more of it...

Olivia Jean said...

**drool**

I am in love with the bottle collection (its an obsession of mine!)

Jenny said...

Wow. That place is amazing! What a neat heritage and how nice to still have in the family.

inday_adin said...

It is a beautiful and interesting log cabin in the woods. I love it! We would feel lucky too if we have a cabin in the woods. :)

...love Maegan said...

THIS is AMAZING! I love every detail ...as well as the history!


{found you via google today ...searching for a dart tutorial for a reader ...and tweeted your link ..just fyi ;)}