Friday, April 16, 2010

On Gardening

pile o' weeds

I love weeding. Love it. Aside from sewing, where I feel like I can carve out my own corner of the universe, weeding is something I do where I lose track of time and tune everyone and everything out. It usually occurs when the boys are riding their bikes and scooters, and the dog is yapping at the neighbor dog, and I realize that an hour has gone by and I'm late getting dinner started and despite that, I feel really really relaxed and a bit victorious over one small corner of the garden.

This year, now that we have a dog, I've decided not to bother about the backyard. It reminds me of the lion exhibit at the zoo. Bad grass, chewed up bones strewn about, holes, poo....sigh. Instead, I'm focusing on the front yard. I'm only going to buy two kinds of plants this year. I'm not going to go all crazy as in years past when spring gardening fever hits. This year I'm only going to get hellebores and euphorbias. That's it. And I've decided not to seek them out. They're going to find me. If I happen to be at the grocery store and there happens to be one of the those plants there, then I just might buy it.

This is what I have so far:

euphorbia--tiny tim


I love the bright green of the first one and the deep purple stems of the second one, which go so well with the sedge:


And here's one that found me--it was growing wild under a tree in the back yard, so I transplanted it. It's a scrawny little thing, but our relationship was meant to be.


No hellebores yet, but I'll let you know when one finds it's way into my yard.

Have a wonderful weekend!


Fred Meyer said...

As a matter of fact, I believe our gardening department has hellebores set up on shelves to the left of both entrances. This week only.

Birdie said...

I love your gardening philosophy of keeping it simple & it finding you...and I LOVE hellebores! I found it in a magazine once and it captured my heart. Happy gardening!

育霖 said...

TAHNKS FOR YOUR SHARING~~~VERY NICE.................................................

dailythread said...

(Fred Meyer comments on your blog? Really?) I love hellebores!