Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Happy Circles: The Cheating Post

Does circle month have to be sewing related? I'm such a cheat, but I can't help it. If you've been following my blog for any amount of time, you know I'm a sucker for touring model homes. This time we dragged the kids for some yurt shopping. I know, right? But this time we're not just ogling. We're really planning to get one. We have had some land in the boonies for awhile now, are just in the process of getting a road put in, and soon (it's all relative, this year? next year?) we will be able to plop down a yurt on it.

I love yurts. Love love love them. I can't wait to decorate--make cushions,make quilts. It'll be totally off grid. Maybe we'll strive for a little civilization...there's talk of a composting toilet. I'm a city girl, afterall. :)

008

011

012

014

12 comments:

Paula said...

If the model homes were squares, yes, that would be cheating. But yurts? No way. not cheating. They are very cool. Doesn't homesteading sound so fun?!

Shoebotmom said...

Oh, my those are so fab! I think it would be much fun to have a yurt to hang in.

Chelsea the Yarngeek said...

You have a yurt store? I can't wait to see what one you get. Any tips on finding a place to buy a yurt?

Little Ol' Liz said...

We're currently experiencing endless days of 25-50 mph wind gusts. I don't forsee a yurt in my future, unless it's on wheels. It sure would make a statement blowing up and down the interstate!

Kigwit said...

I love yurts! I tried to convince my husband we needed on but he kept prattling on about hurricane season and whatnot.

Extremely cool.

stephanie said...

I really want a yurt, too. What fun it would be!

Joanna said...

Chelsea--we're getting ours from rainier yurts. the folks there are super friendly and gave us a tour of the factory.

as for high winds, don't let that stop you. apparently they can withstand winds up to 90 mph (so they say).

keri said...

Yea for circles! My husband has a deep passion to build a dome home as our permanent homestead - I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I'm willing to try!

Joanna said...

really, keri? that's cool. if you make it out to WA in the next year or two, you're welcome to try ours out b/4 you commit.

Oiyi said...

Omg, this is so exciting!

Phyllis said...

So cool! And what a great idea for a getaway. I love your blog, btw!

Chara Michele said...

How fun! I think staying in a yurt would be so much fun! (And much better than having to tent it, I am a city girl too :) So did you end up getting one? :)