Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My Etsy Shop

005
The day has come. My etsy shop is now (finally) open for business.

I decided not to name it after my blog because I have no intention of selling shoes (or star dust, for that matter) and I don't want the name to be misleading. Instead, it is named after my maternal grandparents, Cecil and Edith. They lived in rural Maine and both worked hard to provide for their family of ten children. My grandfather was a carpenter and his wife a homemaker. In their spare time they found happiness in creating things--he made toys out of wood, and she made tatted lace. I'd only met them a handful of times, since I lived across the world from them, but I know them through the stories my mom has told me. Naming my little shop after them is a way to connect with my family history and some of their creative spirit.

p.s. I've only sold one thing before (and that was by accident). I've always made things to give away, so it's a very curious feeling to be putting myself out there like this.

19 comments:

Donna @ Mudpies and Memories said...

The two toned Biscuit Bag is gorgeous! Best of luck with your shop. :)

Donna

Ashley Ann said...

Your shop looks great!

It feels really weird putting yourself out there at first, but don't worry, it gets easier!

Miss Tiff said...

It always feels a lil odd putting yourself out there. Good luck to you!

Lisa said...

Good luck! I'm sure that you will do wonderfully!

Jessica said...

I love the name of your shop. Congrats and good luck!

Olivia Jean said...

woo woo! very cool....and inspiring :D

Pamela said...

beautiful tags. headed over to browse.

Chara Michele said...

Exciting! I love the name of your shop & the story behind it! :)

craftapple said...

Congratulations! That's a huge accomplishment! Listing things always takes me forever. The shop looks great. My bags are holding up wonderfully, btw. :)

Angie said...

Everything looks beautiful! It is hard to do this- open a shop. Just getting it ready to list- sunny day, nice light, just the right picture and description- oh my! I think you are going to do well!

Victoria said...

Congrats to you! I wish you many sales...

stephanie said...

Congrats! Your stuff looks great!

K said...

Congratulations! Love the shop name.

caitlyn said...

Congratulations, Joanna! I love the name of your shop and your items look amazing.

ghislaine said...

I love the purses that you make!

Good luck with Etsy. It's really quite fun and lots of friendly buyers and sellers there :). So much better than ebay...

keri said...

hooray! Congrats! I just favorited you!

Bevy said...

I just knew you'd be amazing!! I have you in my favorites already.

I love it!!

Organizing Mommy said...

Very nice work! I love the theme of the etsy shop!

Sarah said...

Excellent Excellent Excellent! You have to start some where!