Thursday, August 13, 2009

Pants-along: Front Pockets

pocket measurements
For the front pockets, cut two pieces of fabric that are 7" x 11". Make chalk marks as in the picture above.


016
You can't tell from the picture, but I'm cutting both pockets at the same time.

017
Fold down the edges 1/2" and iron. Note that the top and side edge have been left alone.
If you wish, you may serge the pockets all the way around before ironing. I don't, but it's up to you.

020
Topstitch all ironed edges, using the 1/2" seam allowance. Note that the outside edges of the pockets have also been topstitched close to the edge.

022
Pin the pockets in place using the raw edges to line them up with the top and the side of the pants. Baste close to the raw edges to hold the pocket in place. Then you can remove the pins and topstitch close to the edge all the way around (OK, not ALL the way. Leave the pocket opening unstitched.)


024
I went a little crazy and added a fake fly. Just draw it on w/chalk and trace it with topstitching.

027
At this point, with right sides facing, sew up the side seams, serge, and iron them toward the back. Run a row of topstitching along the seam. If you wish to reinforce the pocket opening with topstitching, you can do that too.

Next up: Butt darts.

4 comments:

KID, MD said...

I'm looking forward to butt darts... I drafted out my pattern yesterday and once I finish the project on my machine, I'm joining in!! I can't wait!

craftapple said...

Hey, those look cool! Haven't cut my fabric yet, but I got it all ironed last night! Thanks for doing this. I'm going to need those butt darts. :)

Victoria said...

Hi Joanna! I am so excited that you've already started! I've been away in Hawaii (nice) so today I am getting my pattern and fabric and catching up in the pants along! :0D

Olivia Jean said...

I ordered the fabric in the middle!!....just waiting on its arrival and its on to sewing :)