Wednesday, August 05, 2009

The Great Pants-Along of 2009

Thanks for all the pants love! You folks are sweet! I've had a few people ask if they can purchase the pattern...and the answer is: ACK! I've only made these pants three times. The first time was a rough draft, and the two times after that I just got lucky. These pants started out with a pattern that didn't fit me properly. I made so many changes that the original pattern has been altered beyond recognition.

No worries. I've decided to host a little pants sewalong (a pants-along).

pants-along button

I'm going to make another pair and take pictures as I go. This would be like the blind leading the blind, since as you know, I am not a garment sewer. I am a crafty sewer. There, that was the disclaimer. If you should make these and they don't fit you well, I'm sorry, but I told you so!!!! :) But if they end up fitting you well, hey man, I'll take the glory. Ha ha!

I'll leave the comments open so that if anyone wants to add some advice re. fabric, fit, method, etc. we can all learn through this process.

So, no pattern, just method, OK? I'd love to have you join and please share any of your finished projects with me. It'd be fun to post them here on my blog.

Next up: A materials list. Stay tuned.

***Bloglines still does not appear to be updating the feed to my blog! I've emailed them a few times and have not heard back yet. I've been a longtime fan of bloglines, but I think it may be time to make the switch to google reader.

15 comments:

Lisa Martin said...

ummm, ok, if you say you're not a garment sewer I'll believe but whatever you call what you do, it's GOOD . can't want to pants along w/ ya.

keri said...

I'm so in - I just ripped my favorite pants beyond repair and I can't find a commercially made pair that fits. Sounds like fun!

Little Ol' Liz said...

I'm catching every update via Bloglines a-OK -- your pants are tres cool, but won't look the same on my ultra curved body. No worries, most other pants don't look that well either (sigh). But I love a well done tut!

Olivia Jean said...

I am also getting your updates just fine :)

Count me in on the pants along....I am also a lost cause when it comes to garments!

caitlyn said...

Your pants are awesome, Joanna!
Do you think someone who is a beginning-level sewer but has *never* sewn a garment could successfully make these pants?

Lori Beth said...

FYI...I am getting your updates through bloglines! It's working for me.

Joanna said...

Caitlyn--
You could so totally make these. They're probably at about the same level of difficulty as a tote bag. I'm going to break everything down into small steps, and it'll be do-able. I hope you try!! :)

caitlyn said...

Hi Joanna,
Thank you for the reply! Yay, I'm excited and can't wait to try your pattern!! Every single pair of pants I own have required alterations.

K said...

I'd like to try. I've made a baby kimono and baby shorts, so very limited experience. I'll be checking back.

craftapple said...

I'm not getting your feed. :( I just noticed you have 3 feeds to your blog so I'm not subscribed to all 3 of them. I'll let you know if one comes through better than the others.

Cool pants!

jennifer said...

i've been getting ready to make some pants too. it's so hot in SoCal right now that it's hard to imagine needing pants, but I like to have something soft to wear for work so I'd better get started.

@ Little Ol Liz--drawstring pants work great with all body types. that's why i love them!

can't wait to pants-a-long
Jen

Joanna said...

Yay! I'm so glad I won't be pants-a-longing all by myself. Thanks so much for joining in! :)

Mo said...

I'm totally in! I can never find pants long enough for me so I'd love to join in. Cool - I'm excited!

KID, MD said...

OOh, I need an excuse to make myself some pants! Sign me up!!

Amy said...

This looks fun! I want to join! I'm right in the middle of working up muslins for a couple of patterns.