Friday, July 24, 2009

Summer Salad

I've had a couple of people ask me how the CSA is going, and I've gotta say: I LOVE IT!!! We're on week four over here, and doing a great job of eating up our veggies before the next box comes. Usually I get something that I don't know what to do with. This time it's the dandelion greens. I'll figure it out... I like the challenge of eating new-to-me vegetables and being surprised when the box comes. I get it in the late afternoon and it's fun to come up with a recipe that night by using what I have in the fridge and pantry (since by then it's rush hour and too late to go shopping for ingredients).

Here's my most recent bounty:

csa week 4

I combined some red leaf lettuce from the box with mesclun and basil from my garden, topped it with blueberries from our picking expedition the day before, and tossed in some flax seed meal (Omega-3s and fiber, baby!!!) and the nasturtiums, which are just for show, b/c no one actually ate them. I drizzled the whole thing w/sweet poppyseed dressing, put some grilled chicken on the side and called it a meal.

salad tonight

I love summer. Sigh...