Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Where's the red lipstick?

This dress makes me want to go shopping for bright red lipstick, strappy heels, and a string of pearls. It's a simple wrap dress very loosely based on one I bought during my honeymoon in Hong Kong 16 (gulp) years ago. I wanted to make something cool and comfortable for the summer--one that would challenge me a bit, but not turn me off of sewing clothes. This one fit the bill.

Things in my comfort level: quilting weight cotton, bias trim hems, and the ties. I've done all that before.


Things out of my comfort level (which turned out to be NO big deal): darts--two in the front and two long vertical ones down the back, and a buttonhole.

Fabric: Michael Miller's black dumb dot

I think the biggest challenge for me was that instead of the smaller projects that I'm used to finishing in one or two evenings, this one took a little longer. Seems a shame that all that hard work results in only one blog post. Ah well....maybe when my legs are a little more tan, I'll model it. That's another post right there. Yeah.