Saturday, June 27, 2009


I've been enjoying my little veggie patch in the side yard. Here's what it looked like in early May: veggie starts

And this is what it looks like now:
planter box

One of the challenges we've had with this garden is that neither of our two hoses can reach up to this part of the yard. For a while, we were making trips back and forth from the front of the house up and down the stairs to the side yard with the watering can. Not my idea of fun!

Then my husband got the brilliant idea to install a rain barrel just a few steps away from the veggie garden. Seriously, this thing has made watering a pleasure. The day he installed it we had a torrential downpour that filled it up immediately. Then we were kicking ourselves for not having more than one--all that wasted rainwater not being collected! The shame. Of course, since then, we had a record 29 days of no rain. But no matter, the water lasted a good three weeks, and this is a pretty busy downspout, so even a little rain gives us a few days worth of water.
rain barrel

The way it hooks up is pretty neat, actually. It diverts the water from the downspout into the barrel. If we get more water than the rain barrel can handle, then it just goes down the spout.

rain barrel2

There are so many reasons why I love my RB. The best thing about it is that it makes me conscious of the water I use and aware of the amount of rain that falls from the sky. When I lift the cover to check how little is left, I envision the area reservoirs getting low and start freaking out a little. A good nature lesson for me and the kids...a reminder that, no, water doesn't just come from the hose.