Friday, January 02, 2009

2009 Advent Calendar Sew Along

basket of stockings
Happy New Year!!! Yes you are looking at a picture of Christmas stockings, but these are not leftover from last year. These are for this year--2009!

Every year around the end of November or early December I have this pang of regret: "how did I go an entire year and not get around to making an advent calendar AGAIN!!!" I get so busy with all these other projects that somehow the Christmas season has a way of sneaking up on me. I know I'm not the only one with this problem. My sis apparently feels the same way. So we decided to do an advent calendar sew-along, and we'd like to invite YOU to join us. Here's the catch: it starts now. Yes, January. But since we have a such a big head start, we have the leisure of taking our time and doing it right. There is also the advantage of being able to do 2 to 3 portions of it per month, or if we really get into it, get it done way ahead of the Christmas season.

I have decided to make mini-stockings. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to do the numbers (stamps or embroidery?). I've made a tutorial (the link is HERE), so that you can make some with me if you want. These cuffed stockings can be hung with a clothespin or strung garland-style on a line. One could attach grommets and hook them to a painted wood panel, use velcro to attach them to a quilted panel, or use pushpins to pin them to a bulletin board...so many possibilities! The pattern is just a starting point for you. Feel free to make changes to it (i.e. make the toes more pointy for a grinchier look.) Note: you do not have to use the stocking tutorial to be a part of the advent calendar sew-along. If you want to make something different, that's great too. Please post your progress on your blog and the flickr group, so we can check each other out. Also, Linda has made a button for you to use on your blog, if you wish--and we hope you do!

2009 Advent Calendar Sew Along


17 comments:

AnniKae said...

I'd love to join this group. I don't have a flicker account yet...I'll be setting one up. What a great Idea! Thanks.
Anni Kae

Tine said...

What a great idea :) I am planning to make advent calendar bags...one for my son and one for my dh. Our tradition is, that the elves put a little present in the bag every day. Same bag every day though. Can I still join?

Lisa the Lovely said...

I'm so glad you're doing this! This is a great time of year to stock up on Christmas fabric and supplies, too. I'm in!!

Debra said...

This sounds like fun!! I think I will do some mini stockings also. And starting in January is perfect.

Off to check my fabric stash....

Peg said...

My thanks, too, for a great idea! And it's simple enough I think I can tackle it.

Julie said...

oh count me in. I love this idea. I have an advent calendar that I have been working on for a few years now and it is still not finished. this just might be the inspiration that I need to complete it.
I do have blog and an flickr account
julie

Sarah said...

This is a great idea! I'd love to have a homemade advent calendar...it would have so much more meaning! I just have to decide what to do!

Stacy T said...

Oh my I cant believe I just realized you were Lindie's sister!! Love your blog.. and great idea to start Christmas 2009 now!

1/4 of an inch said...

What a fantastic idea...I'll join along with you...Tam xo

Susan in SC said...

What a great idea! I am so glad that I found you!!

Gigi said...

What a good idea! I waited too long to start my Christmas making this year, so as soon as I finish a sweater I'm making, I'll start on these.
Thanks!
Georganna

N. Canadas said...

I love this idea!! I have made one advent calendar of mini felt stocking but I love them and I am sure someone on my list could use one come December. I also checked out the flickr pics and I love the idea of finger puppets that someone posted. I think I might work on that. I'll keep you posted.

Jodi-SugarPlumStitches.com said...

I LOVE this idea! I am a super HUGE sucker for advents and have quite a collection of them. One of my 2009 resolutions is to "keep the 'Spirit of Christmas' alive" all year long. Not just at the busy part of the season!!
This will be so much fun, and help to keep me in the spirit of the season! Ü I am so glad i found you! Thank you for sharing such a FUN idea! I will be sure to send ALL my PrimMart (www.primmart.com) girlfriends your way!!! Ü

Lisa the Lovely said...

how do I add the button to my blog? I thought I knew how, but don't. I tried to figure it out on blogger help but I can't figure it out!!

Beth said...

Looks like a lovely group, and a good way to get my butt in gear!

I am hosting a childrens Valentines Swap if your interested :O)!

Danni said...

Alright I am in. this year our activity advent calender went well but it was only bc I did not get the advent calendar sewn before December 1st. Now I have the kick in the pants.

Bombini said...

What a fantastic idea! I'm in! Already put the button on my blog and I'm going to start tomorrow with the first stocking. Thanks a lot & greetings from Germany!!