Friday, July 11, 2008

party prep

My oldest is having a birthday party tomorrow. We're planning a good old fashioned at-home party. I'm getting a bit tired of the blow-up-jump-all-over-the-place-throw-too-much-money-away-on-the-venue type, so we're trying this out for a change. I'm even making a homemade cake, which is pretty much unheard of in these parts. Anyhoo, we're basing it on the field day concept and will have several stations where kids can do a bean bag toss, try to throw a frisbee into a tent, balance ping balls on spoons, etc. My personal favorite is the scooter slalom, where the kids will have to sit on their bottoms and work their way around an obstacle course. Dude! To be a kid again.
Have I mentioned--I found a new crafty friend? She was over on a playdate, and I was telling her how fun it would be for the boys to have scooters like they use in PE class. I was thinking to buy some, but she talked me into making them. So a couple weeks later, we did, and they turned out to be super easy. They're made from plywood that's 12" x 12". The edges are sanded smooth and there are 4 swiveling casters attached to the bottom. I stained the scooters with watered down acrylic craft paint. I suppose I should polyurethane them too. Eh, maybe someday. Anyway, about my friend...not only is she a fab woodworker, but she sews clothes too. And she totally "gets" the blog thing, because her sister is a blogger too. Niiiiice :)
Well, I'm off to decorate a cake!
p.s. In case you were wondering, that's masking tape all over the playroom floor. Racetracks.

7 comments:

Angelika said...

I have one of those with 2x4x instead of a board and it's intended for plants, but it has also moves several dressers and or course kids. They, they scooters, come in very handy.

Mirre said...

The party sounds like so much fun! Enjoy it tomorrow!

kat said...

a very happy birthday to your oldest :-)

Melissa said...

Doin' a dance, yep that *MY* sister you're talking about!!! :-) She's a crafty gal for sure and said those scooters rock! Have fun at the party. I have never bought into the whole throw-your-money-away party thing. We always do a "homemade" party and I make the cake. I figure how many parties to kids need where they go to Chuck E Cheese, the bowling alley, etc. What happened to the gold old days where kids just came over to celebate? Anyway, you should check out the book "Hello Cupcake", has some super cute ideas for kids (and adults too). :-)

Melissa said...

I should clarify, yes we've taken the kids to CEC for their birthday, but it's been a small family outing, not a kid party.

The Hamblins said...

Sounds like a fun party!!!!!

Guess what else you can do with 12x12 plywood...

It makes for a great canvas when you dont want to spend the money on actual canvas-especially square canvas. They are a little harder to come by. Check out the one I painted. http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w150/absster/DSC_1114-1.jpg

I also have some that I have partly drilled screw in on all four corners. It causes it to give more depth by bringing it away from the wall and you dont even notice the screws.

Ms. K said...

That sounds like tons of fun!