Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Reverse Applique

Gimme some fabric scraps (in this case, various colors of linen and organic cotton) to play around with, and I'm happy.

This is quick and dirty reverse applique. I traced the circle onto the organic cotton, pinned it to the back of the linen, sewed around the circle three or four times, then used my applique scissors to cut out the linen so that the cotton would show through. Those applique scissors are awesome. It's amazing how closely to the stitching I can trim without accidentally cutting through it. Not sure what these will become--sachets, totes, quilt squares, pockets? Most of the fun is in making (and hoarding) them.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, I love it!
Liane
http://www.spacestitch.wordpress.com

Kloth & Bolt said...

wow, what a great idea! -kb

dailythread said...

I like the earthy colors you put together, Joanna. Looking forward to seeing what they become!

beki said...

Applique scissors? I never knew such a thing existed!

Gretchen said...

Hoarding? Now you're speaking my language.

Those are so darling, I'm sure you'll come up with 101 uses!

kayla_d said...

I love these! The circular stitching is great.

Ruth said...

Very cool!

joyce said...

nice idea! i've never heard of applique scissors either!

Heather said...

Just what I was looking for! Most of the reverse applique tutorials are using knit. I wanted to do cotton, but didn't know how to handle the fraying. Thank you!

Wendy said...

So you just cut close enough to the stitching so that it doesn't have much of a chance to fray?

I'll have to get me some of those scissors.

Love you blog!

Rebecca said...

I've been reading your blog for a while, and I thank you so much for all your great tutorials and sharing your beautiful projects. The reverse applique inspired a project for me, I blogged about it and linked to your posts. Thanks again!

Rebecca

http://rebeccasmiscellanies.blogspot.com/2009/05/sewing-project-drawstring-bag.html