Friday, April 25, 2008

Home Improvement

Wow, have I really not posted a single thing for almost a month? My blog has gotten a little lame-o since we moved. You know those people who move into a house and spend every waking moment painting and doing yardwork? We used to laugh at people like that, but now...we're those people. I rather like it. I feel like I'm doing my part to reform and redeem my corner of the universe. But it does make for a rather paltry blog.

Well, I painted the guestroom and fun, limey green. It turned out really cute, but I'm not ready to show it to you yet. I need to get my bum over to etsy and buy some artwork for the walls first. Our entire house, aside from that room is white, white, white. The former owners left us some touch up paint, which I needed to use when Mikey drew with crayon all over the hallways.(I tried the magic eraser first--it only worked up to a point, before it started removing the texture from the walls.) So anyway, I found the white paint, touched up the walls, returned a couple of hours later to find that it was the wrong shade of white. Apparently the master bedroom walls are a bright white, and the whole entire rest of the house is a more muted white (not that I even noticed). Not to bore you, but now we have bright white splotches on gentle white walls, and mama is not super happy about it. Well, maybe a wee bit happy because now it means I have an excuse to paint sooner than originally planned. So there's that story.

The other story is that I've been working like a maniac in the garden pulling ivy up. Ugh. What a chore. I decided 3 weeks ago since we weren't going anywhere for spring break that I would dedicate one hour a day to eradicating English ivy from my front yard. Our front yard is separated into two parts by the walkway. There was ivy on one side, but not on the other and it looked stupidly lopsided. So day after day, the boys biked and scootered, and I worked like a madwoman. This past weekend, I finally finished. I should have paid someone to do it, but now I guess I can claim ownership??? I think I should pay myself: $10 per blister, $5 for every charlie horse, $20 per stiff neck. (Then take that money and go shopping here.) If you ever find yourself in the unfortunate position of having to pull up ivy, here's my advice--use an ax. I'm not kidding. Once I figured that out, it went much faster.

Still a work in progress, but at least now we have the situation under control.

7 comments:

dailythread said...

Gee, I wish I knew about the ivy...I would have told you to give it three applications of Round Up and call it a day. No pain, all gain. We had to do that around our house and it worked like a charm. Sorry...

Joanna said...

la la la la la la (plugging my ears). Katie, you did NOT just say that!!! Ha ha! If there's a difficult way to do something, trust me, I'll find it.

keri said...

=) Glad to hear things are going well for you all and the house is coming along nicely! =)

Angry Asian said...

i am so glad that you're back! i've been familiarizing myself with your creative ventures by reading your older posts. :)

will you be doing anything special with regards to your walls, like murals or stencilling? i have two more rooms in my condo to paint and i'm looking for inspiration and motivation.

Erin said...

I love the colour of your guest room. Can't wait to see it all done up. I am a green and yellow kinda gal. My room is a nice shade of green and I love it.

Good luck on all your other ventures around the house. Trust me it never ends. Three years later and we are still finding things to do.

Chara Michele said...

I hope all the house stuff is going good still! :) We just moved too (although into a new apartment & across the country), so I can relate!

The Hamblins said...

Hello! I was googling handmade dolls and came across your blog. I love to do all things crafty so I am loving seeing the things that you have made. You are very talented! We just recently moved and I have done my daughter's bedroom in hot pink, pale pink, and lime/apple green. I have been looking at tons of paint samples for the perfect green. Do you mind telling me what kind of paint and the color?