Sunday, February 03, 2008

Mulligatawny soup and other randomness

Sorry about this picture. I started eating before I realized I needed to get the food cam out. This is my mulligatawny soup. I discovered it about 6 years ago after watching a Seinfeld rerun about the soup nazi. They kept talking about mulligatawny, and I'd never heard of it before. I did a search and randomly picked one of the many recipes. I chose this one because I happened to have all the ingredients on hand.

This has been my fallback meal for those lunch playdates when the kids get grilled cheese and carrot sticks, but the moms need something a little more. I usually make it the night before. Over the years I've tweaked the recipe to make it quicker. I'm the type of person that doesn't have a lot of patience for boiling a whole chicken and deboning it when I can just boil up a couple of frozen chickens breasts, throw in a spoonful or two of instant chicken broth paste, and yield similar results. Some might disagree with me on that, but I'm not a fan of greasy chicken skin all over my kitchen sink, and for me quick and easy trumps greasy grimy any day. Anyhoo--the recipe is here. I like mine really tangy so I throw in extra cloves, curry, pepper and lemon juice. Sometimes I also use a dash of balsamic vinegar. That's my secret ingredient.

I'm definitely feeling sewing withdrawals. It's been about 3 months since I've sewn anything. I've been so busy unpacking and finding places for everything. Just when I think I have a handle on things, hubby brings more boxes in from the garage. I think my craft room is going to be the last place that gets set up around here. Right now it's full of boxes and I have no shelving to put fabric in. Also missing is a sewing table. We hired a sitter yesterday and went to IKEA. We got a table for the kitchen nook, some chairs, and a bench. I was on the lookout for a craft table and some shelves, but our li'l truck could only hold so much. I AM excited, though, that the Seattle IKEA now sells fabric by the yard!!!

One more thing--hubby and I have been watching a lot of Ming Tsai lately. I don't know what it is about him...I think it's his honest face and his cute American accented mandarin. The food he makes looks so spectacular and yummy. I wish I weren't allergic to alcohol, because he gets such a kick out of pairing the perfect wine to accompany each meal, which would be so fun. And those chairs he sits in at the end--ACK! So beautiful (and only $1,525 apiece, I might add--a steal if you're a millionaire, which I am not!). I haven't made any new year's resolutions yet, but I think I'm going to try making one or two of his recipes a month. He makes it look easy, and I suppose it would be had I a grill attachment on my gas range (which I do not).


Levin (and Emily) said...

the soup looks yummy. unfortunately it's too hot for soup where at the moment. it just doesn't seem as comforting when it's so hot outside. but, i will definately keep the recipe for when winter takes hold.

Bethgem said...

Oooh I love balsamic in soup.

Rouxhauser said...

do you have that asian alcohol allergy where you turn bright red even thinking about a glass of wine? me too. i will be trying the mulligatawny recipe soon. yum!

Mumzie said...

Your Mulligatawny soup looks great! Have you ever heard of "Must Go soup"? That's when you look in the fridge, see what you have and decide this "must go," and that "must go," and you make a soup out of it all. It wouldn't likely be as good as this one, though, especially if it was my fridge! Yours, maybe! Mumzie

JoAnna said...

Thank you! I was just craving mulligatawny tonight, and was frustrated because the last time I attempted it, it was awful. I will be trying this this week!

freyededge said...

No crafting for you!
(As in no soup for you)One of my favorite episodes.

Jenny said...

Thanks so much for the recipe and the Seinfeld reminder :) I actually went in search of "muffin top" pans recently after that episode :) I miss miss miss Seinfeld :)