Sunday, January 27, 2008

Thrifting--my way


I've always been a little jealous when people post about their thrifting finds. I just have never had much luck at thrift stores. Mostly because my kids have no patience when it comes to stores like that, but also because the Goodwill people in my city seem to know what the good stuff is and price it way high.
Anyway, just before we moved into this house my husband met the sellers. It turned out that they're an elderly couple. The wife looked like she'd recently had a bad fall. She was limping and had a black eye. The husband had been working very hard all on his own to get the house cleaned up and ready for us. We know this because we drove by every day and he always seemed to be there loading up his car with stuff. Shortly before closing, their realtor left us with a list of things that they wanted to leave with the house--an old TV, a dresser, some plants, an assortment of nails in the garage--nothing that sounded too exciting. But because we felt kind of sorry for them, we decided to accept it. A lot of it wasn't really our style, but Dave hauled a load away with his pick up, so that was no big deal. However, we ended up with enough treasures to furnish a bedroom for one of the boys.

I love the rocker, but the poor seat is shedding all over the floor. Maybe I'll have to take up caning or rush weaving or whatever-it's-called and fix it up.

Here's one more thing they left for us. This lovely lady graces our garden, weighs a ton and is the subject of many an ogle. The baby points at her and says "nai nai," which is Chinese for you-know-what. I rather like her, but may have to craiglist her to someone who has a little less testosterone running around in their backyard.

23 comments:

muralimanohar said...

OMG..I HAD that exact dresser before!! We got it off the side of the road, and after we painted over the brilliant blue, and gave it a distressed sage green color, with gold lotus flowers stencils, I looooved it!! The shape is GORGEOUS!! :p

Anonymous said...

I love the comment about the statue, having nothing but boys myself. So priceless.

Donna said...

Lovely dresser! Thrift shops are the same here, and some of them I wonder if there are people who have a deal to see stuff before it even hits the floor because there is never anything good.

Nai nai is Chinese for breasts? My daughter used to call breasts na nas.

Future Envy of the PTA said...

Hello! I came across your page when looking for baby shoes and I just love it! I definitely marked your page as one of my favorites on my page. I wish the old owners of our house left a list of stuff to be approved when they moved out! The old renter left us two grills, a nasty mattress pad, bear shaped house shoes, a crap load of rusted gardening items, and more! You can say that I was less than pleased!

Pieces said...

I can just imagine having that statue with my son. He would never have any of his friends over for shame.

Laurie said...

I had an old chair that I 'caned' with my selvage ball. I just wrapped the selvage around and then went the other direction weaving it. I took a picture of it the other day so I'll blog about it today. Go look at it at stone-belle.blogspot.

Heather said...

That's great that there were some things you could use. When we had our walk through the sellers had left tons of crap, especially in the shed and attic. They were so annoying that we didn't want to see them again so we decided not to say anything and haul it away on our own since we had the means to do it. It was sort of entertaining, there was an old wedding album and even a mannequin head! Hope the moving went well!

BMT said...

Love the statue..sounds like something that one of my guys would do...except we call them 'meh mehs' at our house...

capello said...

omg, love the dresser!

and my boys? the would totally be fondling the statue and going "boooooobiiieeees, boooooobbbbiiiiess"

um. yeah.

Beth said...

She is lovely. Perhaps you can sew her a shirt until the boys are old enough to appreciate art! ;-)

Of course, I am married to a "boy" who at 35 would still giggle at her.

Erin said...

The dresser is beautiful. You scored big time. Even better that you didn't have to hung for those treasures. They found you instead. I hope the move went well and trust that you are still unpacking and settling in!

Erin said...

hee hee...I meant to say "you didn't have to hunt for those treasures". Too bad they didn't have spell check in the comment section! :o)

Little Old Liz said...

About the statue, I say treat it like the decorative goose people had, with costumes for every season of the year! Love it!

weirdbunny said...

The rocker is stunning, I love that style, and the statue is very elegant. Although children do find nude statues very funny don't they !

Oiyi said...

The nai nai comment is hilarious!

Junie Moon said...

How great you could use some of the pieces to outfit a bedroom, I think the furniture looks great.

Maybe you could make a quilted seatpad until you have the seat recaned.

atet said...

That dresser and bed are wonderful finds -- I wish the owners of our house had left us something more than a pair of ratty old snow boots!

As for the statue -- um, personally? I'd keep it. If for nothing more than the conversation piece it could be :0).

morning cielos said...

if you want i can send you instructions of how to do a seat with straw. its a nice rocker but the statute is really nice

morning cielos said...

Joanna, sent you a message with photos to the email address you have in your blog but no reply.
let me know if you if you still want the directions
gaby
(ps... my email address is gaab22@hotmail.com)

Melissa said...

great thrift buys!

Flipfloppingmamma said...

Love the furniture! Cool that they left it for you.

That statue is something else...haha! I see things like that and always wonder who would purchase such a thing. Maybe it's only one statue and it keeps getting left behind...haha!

http://flipfloppingmamma.blogspot.com/

maya said...

That dresser looks almost exactly like the dresser I've had since I was 4 years old. The only difference is that yours has two drawers at the top and mine has one. And mine has my name scratched in it a couple of times and yours, well, probably doesn't have that.

Metanoia said...

Your statue is beautiful. I wish the statue I was left when I bought my house was a bare breasted roman style. Mine is a very proper victorian styled lady. I have plans for making her a bit more included in the garden instead of sitting by herself.