Thursday, November 01, 2007

I Need Therapy

Some more simple reversible bags (more detailed pictures on my flickr page). I'm in love with the rich earthy colors of this linen. It's fun playing around with the color combinations, and then getting a hint of something different inside. I feel like I've been on a roll with these, but sadly, this will be it for my sewing for awhile. So much for handmade Christmas presents for everyone! The sewing machine will be having a 1 - 2 month hiatus as we work in earnest to beautify our home. We are having the entire interior painted--with special attention to the trim work which I tried really hard to do myself but kind of gave up because it turns out I'm not very good at it (and am not all that motivated, either...some things ARE best left to professionals, as much as I hate to admit). Our master bathroom is almost done, and we've decided to update another one. So, there's lots going on, and this blog won't have a lot of crafty content unless you're interested in before and after pictures (are you?).


In the meantime, I've been very inspired by this book. And although I don't live in an apartment, I can relate to a lot of the issues and challenges in it, i.e. flow, furniture placement, lighting, creating a feel-good home. I find the last topic especially important because as a stay-at-home-mom I spend much of my time here. Although I love my home, sometimes I don't love being in it. I think the clutter is really getting to me. That and the fact that I have a little guy who thinks it's great fun to un-make the bed and rummage through the just-cleaned pantry to roll aluminum cans across the floor. Did I mention we also have a food-flinging problem? Anyway, the book is good, and so is the blog that goes with it.

15 comments:

joyce said...

i love before and after pictures!
nice tote bags! there are definitely parts of my house i would like remodeled...even though when we bought our house it was already remodeled...not quite enough storage space...

Lala said...

Hi Joanna! I know exactly what you mean... I always tell my husband that our home is "my office"... and that since I spend 85% of my day at home... it needs to be a pleasant place to LOOK AT... share all the befores and afters you want! It's always fun to see the progress!!!

As far as the food flinging... use scrubbable paint! :o)

Lala :o)

Mo said...

Totally interested in before and after photos. Do it!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh yes, we love before and after photos!

rohanknitter said...

I love before & after pics!
Bring em on!

Mirre said...

We've also started to make our house an even nicer home.
Please show us lots of before and after photos!

rebecca said...

What peaks my interest is EIGHT STEPS.....it would take a lot more than that for my dwelling! I also have a bed unmakerer....

Dawn said...

Before and after pictures...yes, please!

Dana said...

I am the same way in my home. I love my home but don't always love being in it. With a busy, older family, we drop stuff and leave. I'm just starting to make the kitchen a place to want to be from cooking, to visiting, to eating. Not a place to put the mail and dirty dishes. Good luck! Post pictures! BTW, I'll be making some cute baby shoes this week. Thanks again for that.

Simone said...

Great Blog - just wanted to let you know, that I added you to my Blogroll. Unfortunately it is in German: www.seemownay.de

Janice said...

These are gorgeous bags...do you have a source you can share for your earth colored linens?

Erin said...

I so understand what you said about spending so much time in your house and not really loving it...from time too time all the clutter and knick knacks get to me...then I do a total purge and feel better again.

BTW...I am so interested in some "before" and "after" shots. Good luck with the reno's. I must say you are so brave too attempt them at this time of year and right before Christmas.

Chara Michele said...

Yes to before & after photos definitely:)

I love that book too...

syko kajsa said...

I love before and after shots I watch all those shows on tv...

atet said...

Thanks for the book recommendation -- I can totally relate to loving your home but not loving being in your home. I'm having a bit of that problem myself. Now to get off my rear and do something about it! (and yep, I would love to see before and after photos)