Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Home

A few weeks ago we came about this close to putting an offer down on a house nearby. When we bought the one we're in, we were a one-kid family. Now we've got two more kids and sometimes it feels like were bursting at the seams. When I'm trying to get from the family room to the kitchen, I'm always walking around toys or tripping over little bodies. I find myself muttering a dozen times a day, "this is no way to live." There are a couple of issues, I think, going on. First of all, we have lots of stuff--kids' stuff, sewing stuff, computer-related stuff. We have lots of hobbies, so we have lots of stuff. Secondly, I'm an introvert. I need my space and I need my quiet time, and if I don't get these two things in small quantities during the day, I get stressed out. As a mom of three louder-than-average boys, it's probably quite apparent that I don't get much of either, which explains why I'm pulling my hair out at the end of the day. As much as I love my kids, I think a vacation from them would be a marvelous thing. Unfortunately, we live far from either side of the family, so sending them off to grandma's is not going to happen.

Anyway, oops, got sidetracked there for a second, where was I???? Oh yes, the house. What a house. It had 4 bedrooms, a craft room (yippee), a huge kitchen, and here's the kicker:

Look at this HUMONGOUS playroom. Actually, the sellers are ballroom dancers and they had this room built especially with that in mind. Dancing schmancing. Can you picture my kids riding bikes in here during rainy Seattle winters? Yeah, me too.

Anyway, in the end, we decided not to do it. We still have some living to do here yet. My dining room is in transition, we're undergoing a master bathroom remodel...we picked out our tiles and fixtures for pity's sake. Don't make me leave here until I get to break it all in. This is where we have all our memories. So even though I like/dislike my home--it's still home.

So now my focus is to make it work for us. We CAN live happily in this space, even though it's a smidge too tight. Streamline, streamline. I'm not sure I know where to start, but I'm going to do my best to try.

I did find a blog that totally inspires me. Check out her flickr pictures. I love the way she decorates and is able to make a small space beautiful and functional. And I love this post on "stuff"--getting rid of it, not accumulating it, not being attached to it.

16 comments:

Dana said...

Okay, how could you pass up that house?! Truthfully, I understand the more living to do, but gosh that room was beautiful. Thanks for the link to Eyes of Mercy. I am enjoying her blog. I'm going glamping sometime too. Looked incredible!

Ali said...

That is a great room - great! But sometimes you know that you're just not ready to give up what you've got.

June said...

What a thoughtful posting; it makes me think about the things I've been wanting to do but which seem overwhelming so I don't do them. I really have to be strong and do the necessary purging to create less stress and curtail my habit of accumulating things. Quiet time and space are important to me, too. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and the wonderful links.

capello said...

dude, if i could clear out my house we'd have so! much! space!

Megan said...

My goodness, that room. Gasp worthy.

Going to go and check out the links now. I'm always on a (seemingly hopeless) quest to simplify.

syko kajsa said...

I can so relate to your situation, the toys and the hobbies. Oh and I can see why you nearly bought that house, such a wonderful playroom! When we moved here I decided to think about what we actually DO in our home before we placed the furniture, instead of following the usual scheme for home decorating. My daughter draws a lot for example so the kids got a drawing table in the living room. No crayons on the dinner table anymore! Have to clean it up and take a pic some day soon!

Jessica said...

OMgoodness! That room is amazing! I would love to have that kind of open air.
I don't blame you for sticking with it, though. We still have some living to do in our house. I can't imagine moving again anytime soon, eventhough I don't think we'll get much of a choice, pretty soon.

Katie said...

Wow, that was a fantastic bonus room. The light! The space! The dance floor!

Thanks from me too for the link to that blog. I have been feeling a little over "stuffed" lately. I gave a ton of clothes to Goodwill recently, but clothes don't actually make up the bulk of our stuff.

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kathy - Pink Chalk Studio said...

Believe it or not, as the kiddos grow the 'stuff' required seems to shrink. I'm sure that's impossible to imagine given their ages right now but it will happen. They also start to clean house with you which is probably even more unimaginable. I get such a thrill watching the girls vacuum, tee hee. Greg and I are already scheming on condo life.

Erin said...

Yes a beautiful room indeed but sounds like you made the right decision. September always seems to be a good time to give the house a good decluttering, perhaps that will free up some space for you! :o)

shisomama said...

I think it would be hard to leave a house where most if not all of your memories of being a family take place. Good for you for not being seduced by that extremely seductive playroom! We're always on the quest to simplify as well. At least you know you're not tripping over the knee pads/elbow pads/helmets since they're in bed with your boys. ha!

JoAnna said...

Oh my, that room is truly to die for! Wow. That must have been hard.

Chara Michele said...

Wow that room looks amazing! Hard to pass up I imagine! :)
I think this is such a great post though! It really is good to think about what we need or could just get rid of. I am getting better at getting rid of things I don't need, but it can be difficult at times. (And I imagine 3 boys in the winter in the same house probably makes you wish for more space! :)

weirdbunny said...

YOur such a blanced human being !!! I'd have put the deposit down imediately !!! That ball room is amazing. Bikes, skateboards, go karts, not that would definately be a ball !

Quilting Diva said...

I want that house...really I thought you were considering buying a second house for the kids to live in. Wouldn't that be a great idea? Or since they've already filled your house with stuff, YOU could move to the new house. If you and DH spent more time ballroom dancing, you'd realize that you had move fun without the kids underfoot. Kidding, I'm sure they're wonderful!