Monday, August 13, 2007

Camping (not Glamping)*

We spent the weekend camping on our land. We looove our land. But have I mentioned that it's very jungly and full of prickly blackberry bushes? My hubby has spent a few of his days off the past few weeks with a huge brush mower to make a clearing for a campsite and create some trails so that the boys can walk around freely without tripping on roots or being stung by nettles. Ahh. Much better. We've been planning this camping trip for awhile, and wouldn't you know, the week before our trip, Sunset magazine came out with a day tripping article on "our" island. A good omen, I think.

And the cool thing is that we did practically everything it said to do. We went to the general store, went to the marine park, ate at the restaurant. We didn't swim at the swimming hole, though, because we already have a favorite swimming spot.

Our tent is the size of a carport. The week before our trip, our other tent got wrecked when some friends we had over for a playdate decided that it would be fun to take jumping leaps into the side of it. You know, like a vertical trampoline. That was all the excuse Dave needed to get this one. Our old tent was a smidge too small for us anyway. This one held us and all our junk just fine.
Yes, the little one is blond. No, he didn't get switched with some other baby at the hospital.


*Glamping is glamorous camping. I learned about it from Ali in this post. Maybe we glamped just a little. We did go to a restaurant. And we ate our donuts in the van because it was so cold in the morning. But we cooked hotdogs and made smores--for reals.

20 comments:

Megan said...

How awesome your land is. You boys will be talking about it, and remembering these days their whole life long.

How cute is little Mikey with his blond hair?!

June said...

Sounds like you all had a really fun time camping on your very own land. I've been reading bits and pieces about this glamping concept, too. Seems to have originated in Glastonbury and kind of came to everyone's attention due to Cath Kidston's flower tents (now no longer sold).

lera said...

Beautiful photos. Love the blondie!!

Angelika said...

Nice little vacation. You are braver than I am. I don't think I do tents and my husband does them all the time so there is no way, he prefers a hotel and the boys "camp" in the tent in their room.

Eren said...

Great post! Love that term "glamping". And my youngest is a blondie too. My husband always says he looks like the milkman kid, but he looks just like his daddy (just with the toe-head). Love the photo of you all smooshed in together.

Katie said...

I love the pic of you all! It looks so snuggly. I wish it was cool enough here to wear sweatshirts and snuggle under a big comforter. Have I complained about the heat enough yet? Maybe we need to move to the NW. But I would so miss the sweet tea.

Sarah said...

Gorgeous photos! How lucky to have such a wonderful place to take your family!

kirsten said...

seriously cool. we're going camping soon, too. i'm very jealous of your swimming pond! (and we have the same outfit your little blond guy is wearing! snuggly)

Ali said...

Just look at those gorgeous boys! And I'm getting decidedly cold feet about our glamping trip since I saw the weather forecast...

Your land looks like paradise.

Chara Michele said...

Mikey is adorable with his blond hair!

Camping sounds (and looks) like a wonderful time! How neat to be able to have your own land to go to and camp for a bit. And swimming!! I miss the water so much where we live... it looks like a blast! :)

beki said...

Look how cute you all are!

keri said...

That looks like so much fun - you and your family are so lucky to get to have experiences like that. Makes me want to buy my own land! =)

Krista said...

Mmmmm, I love this post. Just along the lines of what I've been craving to do with my kids the last while. I think while we still have a tiny baby we might just 'daytime' camp though, at the beach somewhere :) All the goodies and the fun, but back home and in our own beds for the night. Next summer, I promise to be braver.

The blonde hair cracks me up entirely. Kids, they're always full of surprises aren't they?

You look SO cozy with your sweet boys in that photo at the bottom. Yay for glamping!

Rouxhauser said...

My son was a little blondie when he was wee. My friends decided that he was "Secret Asian Man" (ala Secret Agent Man) with his blond hair and subtle Asian features.

lori said...

sounds like you and the gang had a wonderful time>!!I and my hubby went last weekend and we might do it again this weekend.
ya camping getting away from it all even if it is only a couple of days!

amandajean said...

love that last photo of you and the boys. so sweet!

shisomama said...

wow, what a great time. i wish i enjoyed camping, but unfortunately, i have an excessive fondness for plumbing. spoiled city folk i am!

your oldest looks exactly like you at this angle!

weirdbunny said...

Your the third blog this evening that has mentioned Glamping !! I'd never heard of it before tonight !!!

Is the water next to your land too? Looks like a fab place you have there. Your tent looks huge. We bought a new tent this year as well. Love the sound of trampolining on the old one !

joyce said...

wow! looks like everyone had fun!

april said...

your boys are so cute. i have an oddball as well. my first was a blondy blue which was a total surprise, but than our next two were the expected brown eyes and brown hair.
i am jelous of your land. growing up in tacoma i am well aware of how beautiful that island is.