Monday, July 30, 2007

Hobo bag

Here's a hobo bag I made for a friend of mine who needs some cheering up this week.


There's a lot I like about this bag. The shape, the applique, the fabric, the fall-ishness of it. I also like the rings.


But this part is my favorite--the zippered pocket in the lining. Thanks to that genius Autum and her tutorial . I even made a special trip to the store just to buy invisible thread. It was so hard to see I could barely make out if the machine was even sewing.

As I was working on this, I was thinking back to just a couple of years ago when I was starting to sew in earnest. I'd made this camouflage tote bag for Davey and didn't think to put a pocket on it until after it was all done. And then I was all frustrated because I couldn't fit the bulky bag through the machine to sew the pocket on. Duh! I've come a long way, baby. It's a good feeling.

Thanks for the tut, Autum!

23 comments:

Karen Batt said...

That is such a lovely bag. And, what a nice gift to give and receive. You are blessed with talent. I love all of your items.
Karen Batt
(Texas)

Ali said...

It's GORGEOUS! I love the rings too - makes everything look neat and polished. Top job you!

Jill said...

Fantastic! Isn't it so satisfying when something comes togather like that. I love your fabric choices :-)

Di said...

The bag is lovel - the applique is great! I am sure your friend will love it!

Jessicah said...

Love the bag- i think the shape is great too. What a lovely gift to cheer up a friend.

autum said...

You are such a thoughtful friend! That bag would certainly cheer me up. I'm so glad the tut was helpful to you. Isn't it much easier than you thought?

Katie said...

I'm in love with that bag! And I just used Autum's tutorial over the weekend, funny enough. It worked great for me, too. I'm so glad she shared her expertise with those of us less, um, knowledgeable! =)

lera said...

Great bag, Joanna.

Oiyi said...

Great bag!

caitlyn said...

The bag is *gorgeous*, Joanna! What a lovely gift for your friend.

beki said...

very nice!

Mo said...

Love it! Great job! You're friend is a lucky girl!

June said...

What a great bag and what a wonderful heart you have to make this for your friend.

taimarie said...

Beautiful bag! I didn't know there was such a thing as "invisible thread." I'll have to check out the tute too...

Rebekah said...

this bag is beautiful...it really makes me want fall to come soon!

amandajean said...

I like the hobo bag a lot! I also love the fall colors...so pretty. what a great gift for a friend.

ruth said...

Awesome bag! I love everything about it.

Chara Michele said...

It looks so lovely! Such a great bag for the fall!

Mirre said...

What a beautiful bag!
Why is it called a hobo bag?

lindsey said...

love love love the bag! such a nice friend you are!

Angela said...

Well check you out! That is an awesome bag. I love the inside zippered pocket-holy smokes- ya got skills, and I'm jealous. I can't even do a button hole.
I really like the lining fabric too. :)

joyce said...

nice! i've got to try that!

Melissa said...

I love it...hmmm, should I be looking in the mail for a package from you? J/K!