Thursday, June 21, 2007

Guilt Free Blogging

Well, I'm back...sort of. I thought I'd give myself an entire summer away from the blog to evaluate whether I wanted to keep going with it, but apparently I couldn't stay away that long. I worried a little bit that maybe being away from it would cause me to stop creating, sewing, thinking about making stuff...but it didn't really. If anything, it made me realize that with or without the blog, the thought of quiet evenings in front of the sewing machine, figuring things out, working with my hands is what keep me going during the day when I'm suffocating under the mounds of housework.

I love having a blog as a place to keep a record of the things that I've made. It's nice to be able to look back and see how I've improved, changed styles and tried out different things. But the silence of the blogging break really clarified for me what I like the least about blogging. And that is: the comments. Is that a terrible thing to say? I love getting comments and getting to know other bloggers, and being part of this community. But I detest the overwhelming feeling that no matter how many hours I have in the day, I just can't keep up with everyone and still find the time to sew--which is the whole reason this blog even exists. If there were two of me, one would be commenting, emailing, checking out blogs and responding to every comment and the other one would be having a great time in front of the machine. But alas, at the end of the day, I'm a tired mama whose had her ear talked off and has been on her feet all day making sure everyone is fed, clothed, entertained...sigh. If I have to choose between commenting and sewing, I choose sewing. Sorry! I'm going to try a new experiment and turn comments off. Then you can look and see what I've been up to, but not feel obligated to comment. And I can post freely and not feel constantly guilty. Guilt free blogging. What a concept. I'll let you know if it works (smirk).

Don't worry, I won't be totally out of touch. Here's my email if you need to contact me: joanna (at) greatturtle (dot) com.

Here's what's happened in the month I've been away:

Mikey started walking and climbing on furniture, getting into everything.
Mikey turned one.
We celebrated an anniversary.
I got a serger!!!!!!
Davey graduated from Pre-K.

In the next few posts I'll post pictures of what I've been working on lately.

No comments: