Sunday, April 01, 2007

More this and that

I miss my sewing machine. Maybe this is the week I'll get back to it. I have so many things in mind that I'd like to make, but I just don't have the time or the momentum. I feel like I have too many other things going on, and I'm eager to slow down, but at the same time, I don't really want to. I like staying busy. Hmmm. I'm weird that way.
I owe Stacy and Beth each a prize from way back for the quilt inspiration guessing contest. Bet you girls thought I'd forgotten, didn't you? Well, things are progressing nicely. Slowly, but nicely. I'm so excited for you to see these, but you'll just have to wait. Awww, what the hey--I'm so bad at keeping secrets--here's a sneak peek for ya!

I've been cooking up a storm lately with lots of help from my little men. Did you know that fingerling potatoes are the perfect size for little hands to scrub and poke holes in with forks? Unfortunately, all this work they do to prepare them does not mean they actually EAT them, but it is a nice way to keep them busy in the kitchen. Sorry, forgot to take a macro close-up of the potatoes, but trust me, they were beautiful. I tossed them in olive oil, paprika, cumin, sea salt, and chili powder and roasted them for 40 min. @ 400 degrees. Ummmmm. Divine. OK. Enough of that, since I don't even have a picture to show for it.

Tonight we had some friends over to make Chinese jiao dz...also known as gyoza (in Japanese), or potstickers. The fun is in the wrapping, which is an art in itself. Fifteen years ago, my hubby and I fell in love with each other while wrapping jiao dz--but I'll save that for another post. Hmmm. Maybe I should write a tutorial on different methods for wrapping these things. It's actually quite a crafty endeavor. OK. I forgot to take a picture of the final product (I'm such a loser today), but here we are having fun, and once again the boys were really into it:

I'll leave you with some pictures of the beauteous side dishes which I took before the guests arrived:


That red sauce there on the right, by the way...Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce. If you haven't tried that, you haven't really lived. OK. That's all folks.

21 comments:

Karyn said...

I have no idea what that prize is that you're making but I love that "Peas and Carrots" fabric!!! Potstickers....yummmm.

Mirre said...

Yum, it looks delicious! And what a social activity all that wrapping ;))

lera said...

Wow! You are making me hungry this morning. Everything looks delish. (that includes your project.)

Stacy said...

Oh my - I'd totally forgotten about that "win" myself... but the teaser seems incredibly generous and so gorgeous! Can't wait to see it!!!

(And, I would have been super-duper happy - had you mailed me just ONE of those potstickers. :)

Mama said...

Really? For me? You made my day with the little peek! I just ordered some of the "Peas + Carrots" fabric because I fell in love with the American Jane collections (probably mostly thanks to enjoying your recent creations!). I'm SO excited. It's like Christmas around here now (without the hassle!).

Oh, and yum. I'm with Stacy... The food looks amazing.

beki said...

This post is making me hungry!

Ali said...

Where's my dinner invitation?! There has to be some recompense for making me drool on my keyboard.

caitlyn said...

Mmmmmmm, that food looks delish!!

Kimberly said...

I can't believe I wasn't invited! ;-) I have 2 sets of hands that love to help out making dinner, which they usually don't eat either. Oh and I very rarely have my camera around when I see something good. I figure enjoy life as it is. I don't know how some of these moms do it with cameras in front of their faces all the time. My kids would flip. Put in a tutorial for making these yummies and watch your stats explode. :-)

keri said...

I like keeping busy too.

All your food looks yummy!

ruth said...

You are making me hungry! When I lived in China my students came over on my 21st birthday and made jiaozi - they are one of my favourite chinese foods (and completely unavailable here in South Africa to my knowledge).

African Kelli said...

Did you make that sushi? Wow! And your potato recipe sounds delish. I'll have to remember that one!

Melissa said...

My hubby would love that sweet red chili sauce. He was just asking for some the other night with his chinese dinner but we don't have anything like that here.

Love the fabric combos!

laeroport said...

Fingerling potatoes are the best! And oh, yea! A wrapping tut sounds like a great idea. :)

joyce said...

mmm looks yummy!
i haven't touched my machine in forever! hopefully i can get some time in soon...

Erin said...

Oh I love that little sneak peak! That sushi looks soooooooo good. I wish I could master the art of making it!

Cathy said...

Yummy!

Dacia said...

okay, now Im starving! wish I was there to enjoy the feast. :)

weirdbunny said...

I love the flower fabric. It reminds me of a floral dress I used to own.

Anina said...

This looks like fun! I just blogged about the "sushi", i.e. california rolls we made a couple of nights ago. It looks like Japanese cooking is really coming into style.

UKZoe said...

My 12 year old would be so in love with you for the sweet chilli sauce. That child loves anything spicy and I have trouble keeping up with him.