Thursday, April 19, 2007

A Manly Tea Cozy

When we were first married and teaching English in Taiwan, a student of ours arranged for her father, a tea master, to give us private lessons on the art of Chinese tea. It was so wonderful to be exposed to the various types of tea and brewing methods. We immediately fell in love with the beautiful Yi Xing teapots and slowly began to collect them.

My husband's been asking me to make him a cozy/carrier for his favorite Yi Xing teapot. Yes, you heard it here first folks, a tea cozy for a MAN!!! I tried to make it as masculine as I could. This cozy contains two cups and a teapot already filled with the right amount of tea leaves. It's the perfect size for tucking into a satchel with a thermos of hot water--maybe someday I'll make a coordinating satchel and thermos cozy. Yeah, we'll see about that... :)
Ever since Christmas, I've been wrapping presents for people using tissue paper encircled with ribbon which is held in place by a vintage button. Like this:
The tea cozy is a fabric rendition of that. I used tweed suiting, a ribbon that looks necktie-ish and a vintage button.
It's lined with wool felt. The cups are covered with cozies of their own to keep them from clinking against the tea pot. They were easy to make once I discovered how to use elastic thread in my bobbin. Elastic thread--what a fabulous invention. I think I will be using it a lot.
The cup cozies are labeled so as to avoid any confusion. :) I love how the cozy doubles as a placemat. Ever so handy when enjoying tea in the great outdoors.Here's a picture of it's simple construction. Go order an Yi Xing teapot from ebay and make one for yourself. Stay tuned, because I see a girly version in my future.





18 comments:

Megan said...

You're a genius, Jojo.

caitlyn said...

You are so creative!
The tea cozy is definitely manly. I really like the necktie-ish ribbon. I can't wait to see your girly version!

Ali said...

Love the place mat/cozy double use!

Chara Michele said...

I love how it doubles as a place mat!

lera said...

I am amazed at how creative you are. Love the "his" and "hers".

joyce said...

very nice! i like it!

Erin said...

Yes very Manly! Absolute fantastic idea!

ruth said...

It's beautiful. We got the most amazing tea pot from China when we got married, dark clay with flowers in 3D on it. It's so pretty I've been to scared to use it!

Cathy said...

Very clever! and very manly!

Stacy said...

Love these!
Thanks also - very much - for my mail day surprise! The apron is gorgeous. I wore it much of the day after discovering it in the mailbox. And, the extra bits from 6.5st were a super fun surprise too. I enjoyed it all very much, although it certainly wasn't necessary! :)

shiso mama said...

i love yixing pots as well and in fact made a series of teapots senior year of college inspired by them. i love the cozy, and it's got a great male vibe to it with the fabric and tie. but what if your husband wants to invite a man-friend over to drink tea?

Dacia said...

very manly and very creative! i love that tea pot.

Rachel S. said...

Love every detail! I could see myself using the manly version cozy. Can't wait to see your version of a girly cozy!

African Kelli said...

Look at you go JoJO! I love the creativity in all of its many ways in this post.

Oiyi said...

I love it!

weirdbunny said...

Thats so perfect, love the his and hers !

Heather said...

Great idea! I'm just wondering though, how do you stop it from sloshing if you're carrying an already made pot of tea in a satchel?

jojo* said...

Heather--Good question. The dried tea leaves are premeasured in the teapot. You don't actually make the tea until you get to your destination.