Monday, April 30, 2007

Fat Quarter Challenge--Take One


Sometimes I make things late at night and I plop in bed feeling like a genius. Then the next morning I wake up, see what I made the night before and think to myself, "huh?" Last night I made this tissue box cozy for the fat quarter challenge, and I stayed up past midnight to get it done. Thank goodness I still liked it this morning. The thing with tissue box cozies is that if they're done right they can look hip and cool. If they're done wrong, they can look like they belong in your grandma's powder room (next to the kewpie doll with the crocheted skirt hiding the extra roll of toilet paper). I can't decide if this is cool or not, but I do like the fabric--Moda Uptown Bird paint by numbers paired with Amy Butler.
I plan to make a few more of these. This particular one is going in the van. I made the strap long enough to fit around the headrest.
Back to the sewing machine. Only two more evenings left to meet the deadline.....

13 comments:

Megan said...

Definite genius. Are they hard to make? My car could do with about 50.

Ali said...

The combination of those fabrics is beautiful.

Do you think a tissue cosy would make me feel cheerier about blowing my nose 300 times a day (damn hayfever).

monica said...

I say definitivel it's a keeper. The fabric combo is really nice and what a fab idea putting a strap to it.

Must remember that!

Katie said...

That's so cute, Joanna!

Tami said...

I like! Maybe you could do a tutorial?

Mirre said...

It looks great!

Carol said...

i love it! so pretty. i saw a lot of tissue box cozies in cars in Taiwan. crafty and functional :)

laeroport said...

Looks great! And I'm so glad you're playing along. Can't wait to see what else you make from your fat quarter.

Chara Michele said...

I like it! Perfect for the car:)

lera said...

I love the idea of a tissue cozy. I think every mom could use one or two.

Roberta said...

I like it!
The kewpie doll comment cracked me up, My grandma's powder room (in her pink mobile home)had a crocheted poodle covering her extra roll of tp. lol

joyce said...

OMG! I had one of those doll covered crochet toilet paper covers-haha

'L' said...

luv it. I could do with two of these to replace the granny ones in my lounge room and bedroom. Will you be taking orders or providing a tutorial?