Sunday, March 11, 2007

Princess and the Pea

The book-themed baby shower on Saturday was fun! But I'm glad it's over. There was almost too much time to get ready for it, and the more time I had, the more projects I kept thinking of to do. Thank goodness there were only three tables to decorate, though, because this is what I made for table number three to go along with the book The Princess and the Pea:
This linen doll is from Laura Normandin's doll pattern found here. I wandered over there by way of Two Straight Lines. If you go to Laura's website, you'll see that she charges $80 for her handmade dolls. You might not believe me when I say this, but it's a steal. There's quite a bit of hand sewing involved, so it took quite a bit of time. But it was totally worth it to me to make this gal a gift that screamed hand made. Not to mention that the handsewing was rather cathartic/relaxing for me.
I love her long dark hair. I didn't want her to be too gorgeous and stuck-up, so I gave her a beauty spot to keep her humble...although not having a nose will do that to you too, I guess. :)

Check out the pea--it's needle felted:
I asked my crafty friend Karen to make me one pea. Look what she gave me!!
I was sort of sad to have to give the pea pod away, but I did it. (sniff, sniff).


Notice the Amy Butler eye mask. I made one for myself for the February In Stitches sew along, and thought the princess could use one too.

If the princess and pea doll set looks familiar to you, it's probably because you've seen it here on Tree Fall Design. I was introduced to Manda's work when I first spotted a set she made for Blair, here. Her stuff is so amazing and inspiring. It was one of those things I just tucked in my head for future reference. I'm the mom of 3 boys...couldn't think of a reason why I'd ever need to make something like this, didn't have the first notion of how to make a doll. But then along came the doll pattern, the book theme, the girl baby...and it all just came together. I love when that happens.

One more thing. Wednesday night I spent madly making these little flaggies out of the Dick and Jane fabric to go on the food table. Thursday morning I checked bloglines and lo and behold Kirsten had posted something eerily similar. Here we are, two blog friends, states away from each other crafting practically the same thing on the same day. I love when that happens too!

27 comments:

kirsten said...

Ha! Your banner looks great!

Love the doll - I made one of these for my daughter for her first bday - but her hair is not nearly as cool. I should really fix that...

(and you can only be so snooty w/o a nose).

beki said...

Wow, your Princess looks fabulous! Whan a generous gift!! I love her outfit, and well, everything about her ;-)

ruth said...

The doll is fabulous!

Mama said...

Amazing doll! Did you take a picture of the tables?!

I have my triangles all cut out for flags on bias tape too... The coincidence of the two of you doing the same project in those same colors is amazing!

caitlyn said...

The doll is really beautiful, Joanna! I don't know if I could have parted with it. =) And the peas in a pod are precious!

kathy said...

I printed out that pattern too when I saw it. Wow, yours is gorgeous!

keri said...

The doll is amazing, love all the little handstitched details.

kimberly said...

Speechless I am!! That doll is just amazing and yes, I'm sure the lack of a good nose is humbling. I don't know about it myself as I have enough for us both. Anyway, you did a wonderful job on her. You put so much love into that gift!!

Rachel said...

I need to attend your church and then get pregnant...what a great baby shower you guys planned! That doll is wonderfully handmade!

Erin said...

The doll is brilliant. What a fantastic gift. BTW... hope the field trip went well last week.

Anonymous said...

Very cute ! I was interested in the pattern, but the MS link seems to be broken .....

Kate said...

Great job, that doll is wonderful!

June said...

Everything you do is always fabulous and today's pictures just prove that again. I absolutely adore the teeny detail of the Amy Butler sleeping mask--that is so wonderfully clever!

syko said...

I love your banner as much as I love Kirsten's :-)

Dacia said...

that is one fabulous princess! one of my fav stories, too.

Melissa said...

That doll is absolutely wonderful and such fun to play with for a little girl I bet. Did you take photos of the party?

Norma said...

So cute and I too love the hair! Great peas. I can see why you had a hart time letting go. :)

lera said...

the princess is very cute. you did a great job on her.

and how funny is that about the banner/bunting that you and kirsten made?! great minds think alike.

Lindsey said...

Thats a very cute doll and the peas are great!

amyelisedesigns said...

Wow! What a baby shower! You are so kind!

weirdbunny said...

I'm so glad you found hand sewing theraputic. I'm finding the sewing machine quite stressful, but it was good to whip up Gwenny's party bags for her birthday, however I then sewed some curtains for a friend by hand as I wanted them perfect. The machine and I together is a ticky combination that doesn't quite produce perfect to say the least.

You princess and the pea is amazing. I so love her. She's definately the best I've seen. They sell them in a very expensive childrens furniture shop in toen. Not a patch on yours my dear !

Robyn said...

Your storybook themed gift was so incredibly thoughtful and I love hte doll. I've noticed that they've taken the pattern off the Martha Stewart website, though. Maybe too many people in blogland making them and not buying them. Oh, well.

Belinda said...

I seemed to have missed out on all the shower posts...damn bloglines! Love princess, so gorgeous!!

Dana said...

Wow! You were so productive! I've been in a slump. I hope to get out of it soon.

hansonjj@verizon.net said...

Goodness, that doll is just so amazing! My 3-year old is just getting into Princess and the Pea and I'd just love to make a set for her. I don't suppose you happened to save the pdf for the patttern or have a copy to scan by any chance? It seems to have "been moved" and is no longer available. I've been searching for other links, but have found nothing so far.

Katrina said...

I just finished the Princess and the pea doll and 8 little cute quilts.....I made the doll with blonde hair w/ a princess dress with a fur trim. Too cute.....and the quilts are just adorable....I know my little Elizabeth will love her.Thanks for the idea! You have so many great projects, I'm glad I foung your blog.

Anonymous said...

^^ nice blog!! ^@^

徵信,徵信網,徵信社,徵信社,感情挽回,婚姻挽回,挽回婚姻,挽回感情,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信,捉姦,徵信公司,通姦,通姦罪,抓姦,抓猴,捉猴,捉姦,監聽,調查跟蹤,反跟蹤,外遇問題,徵信,捉姦,女人徵信,女子徵信,外遇問題,女子徵信, 外遇,徵信公司,徵信網,外遇蒐證,抓姦,抓猴,捉猴, 調查跟蹤,反跟蹤,感情挽回,挽回感情,婚姻挽回,挽回婚姻,外遇沖開,抓姦, 女子徵信,外遇蒐證,外遇,通姦,通姦罪,贍養費,徵信,徵信社,抓姦,徵信,徵信公司,徵信社,徵信公司,徵信社,徵信公司,女人徵信,
徵信,徵信網,徵信社, 徵信網,外遇,徵信,徵信社,抓姦,徵信,女人徵信,徵信社,女人徵信社,外遇,抓姦,徵信公司,徵信社,徵信社,徵信社,徵信社,徵信社,女人徵信社,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,女子徵信社,女子徵信社,女子徵信社,女子徵信社, 徵信,徵信社, 徵信,徵信社, 徵信社,
徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信,徵信社,徵信, 徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 外遇, 抓姦, 離婚, 外遇,離婚,
徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信社,徵信,外遇, 抓姦, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社, 徵信社,徵信,徵信, 徵信,外遇, 抓姦
徵信外遇抓姦離婚婚前徵信工商徵信尋人大陸抓姦法律諮詢家暴婚前徵信工商徵信外遇抓姦尋人離婚家暴大陸抓姦感情挽回
婚姻挽回大陸抓姦尋人
大陸抓姦,徵信,徵信社