Sunday, March 25, 2007

Here there and everywhere


One thing I like to do (well, most of the time) is to let my kids pick out fabric for projects that I'm making. Usually it's stuff for them--pillows, blankets, etc. It's funny how at the fabric store they are so decisive and even if I think their choices are hideous by my standards, no matter how I try to talk them out of it, they always know what they want and pretty much stick to their guns. The upside of this activity is that there is a fabric manifestation of their personalities. I learn a lot about what they like and dislike, and sometimes I'm very surprised. The downside of this is that every time I make a quick trip to the fabric store with them they think it's their right to choose fabric. Yup.

So Davey had a birthday party to go to this past weekend for a little cutie pie in his class named Ginger. I let him pick out the fabric for her tote bag. Right away he chose the flowers and then when I asked him to find something that matched, he went right up to the stripes and that was it. Pretty much a 30 second decision. Is that a male thing? I'm always so indecisive. Anyway, I praised him up and down for doing a good job matching.
I had a little fabric leftover, so I made her a little covered notebook. Piece o'cake. This is how you do it:


*****OK. I'm changing the subject here. I need help from my sock knitting friends...Caitlyn, Keri, Angelika--help me!!!!

This is knitpicks simple stripe sock yarn. I bought it last year and can't find it anywhere on their site. Probably discontinued. Anyway I'm using size 2 needles and it feels pretty loose to me. I'm thinking to frog it and go with size ones. Thought I'd ask for your opinion before I do. If you tell me I should rip, I will (even though that would be a bummer, because I already frogged 5 inches worth of sock when I started these almost a year ago using size 3's). Oh well, at this rate, I will be guaranteed to own every size dpn that exists out there. I obviously don't know what I'm doing. I can't tell how loose/tight handknit socks are supposed to be. I don't wear slouchy store bought ones. I suppose I wouldn't wear slouchy handknit ones. All kinds of people are whipping out socks like it's no big deal. I want to be one of them, is that so wrong?


24 comments:

Megan said...

Haven't got a clue about knitting socks, but did want to applaud your boy's fabric choices. They look so happy together, that floral and stripe.

Violet & Rose said...

That is a great little birthday gift and lovely fabric choices.

Anonymous said...

I have found that Knitpicks sock yarn shrinks significantly (even if superwash). I would stick with the 2s.

EinKY

Rosa said...

That is a fantastic gift. I love the color combinations. The sock size will definitely change with blocking which is why you always want to do a test gauge, wash it, dry, then count your stitches. But I know, how has time to do all that when you just want socks. I tend to just knit them up and pray that they fit and don't shrink too much. I think they look great.

Katie said...

Cute, cute birthday gifts! I love the stamped tape on the notebook.

As for socks, I find I prefer socks knit at a tighter gauge. I used to knit socks with US 2s all the time, but the socks I knitted with 2s don't seem to wear as well as socks knitted with US 1s. Which is a nice way of saying they almost immediately sprung holes. And when I spend all that time knitting a pair of socks, I do NOT want them to get holes the first time I wear them! Also, they feel better to me if they're more snug on my feet. I don't like socks slipping around while I'm wearing them!

shizzknits said...

The tote bag is adorable!

And I've knit with SS before; def. go down to US1s. The socks knit with US2 needles will be too open and you'll feel all the stitches. Good luck!

Melissa said...

I did some warehouse fabric shopping this weekend as well with the girls...they found dolphin fabric for new pillowcases.

Oiyi said...

Your son has an eye for color.

caitlyn said...

I love the bag and notebook cover! Your son did a great job selecting matching fabrics. =)
I haven't ever used Knitpicks sock yarn, but I knit all of my socks on size 1s. They seem to work well for most yarns. I've also never knit a gauge swatch for socks before -- I hate swatches -- but after awhile you'll be able to tell how many stitches you should cast on for a given yarn.
Great yarn colors, by the way!

Lisa said...

I knit my socks on 1s. The fabric feels much better and is softer on the soles of your feet. I think it also depends on if you are a loose or tight knitter.

capello said...

you just fold the fabric over and stitch it up?

it can't be that easy, can it?

Alicia A. said...

LOVE the gift. What a lucky little Ginger!

keri said...

Oh the little book cover looks so cute! What a great idea!

Your sock sensei is here =) The first question is what is your gauge (number of stitches per inch?) check it out and let me know.

I'm usually a size two knitter myself for most sock yarns including the knitpicks, but it's all about you and what your gauge/knitting style is. You could be loosey goosey and maybe need to move it down. So...multiple you number of stitches per inch x number of sts cast on and compare that to the number of inches around your leg. It'll help you determine if it would be too big.

Ali said...

That boy of yours has a good eye!

What kind of ink pad do you use to stamp on twill tape btw? Is it washable after? I need to have a go...

Erin said...

Your son has great taste in fabrics. The colour combo is brilliant. Lovely Tote bag. BTW...ShimandSons http://shimandsons.typepad.com/shimandsons/ is having a vintage button swap. I saw all those buttons that you posted about last time and thought you might be interested.

maritza said...

Hey there! Blogger wouldn't let me respond to you so I thought I come over and say "hi." What lovely gifts for a little girl - love the notebook. So sweet!
And Knit Picks did indeed discontinue that yarn some time ago, or so I have heard. I would have used size 1 needles, but I think size 2 should work just as well. This yarn does tend to tighten up a bit (shrink) when you wash it.

Anina said...

I love everything you make!

African Kelli said...

I think it is so sweet you let your kids pick your fabric. And that little covered book is wonderful!

weirdbunny said...

He's got great taste your son in fabric !

I always dread what Gwenny picks sometimes for fabric. You never know which way it will go.. good taste or bad ..lol..!!!

Barb said...

Goodness, Jojo. No wonder you're excited about the burp cloths. You're an old pro at making good use of fabric.

Thank you for stopping by and I'd love to see your results if you make the burp cloths.

Funky Finds said...

i love the cover! thank you for the well wishes on my blogiversary. i so appreciate your readership! :)

Dacia said...

so cute! love that little present. :)

Kimberly said...

Oh see how talent travels from mom to son? Love it! The socks look great, I wish I were there to help you but I would say keep going.

Funky Finds said...

how cute!