Friday, February 16, 2007

Happy Chinese New Year


I'm trying to connect with my Chinese heritage in honor of Chinese New Year this weekend, so I made a linen fortune cookie. (And yes, I know they're really an American invention.) Unfortunately I couldn't come up with a pithy saying, so this is what you get.

It's what I find myself saying to the boys all day as they race around the house...both wanting to be the winner of the whatever race is going on at the moment (car, running, crawling, you name it...).

I will also be eating lots of soy pudding topped with ginger-infused syrup--thank you Uwajimaya--and I'll be eating it all alone, since no one else in my family seems to be a fan. Not sure why, because it really is quite yummy.

Happy Chinese New Year! Go get yourself some dim sum.

By the way, have you seen Colorfool's yummy fabric food lately? Pure genius.

17 comments:

Megan said...

I love that. And I am always saying to my kids, you are my favourite 6/8/9 year old.

caitlyn said...

Happy Chinese New Year to you too!
I love the soy pudding with the syrup. I've been wondering what to call it in English, so you just answered my question!

Alicia A. said...

Angela's food is genius. It's true. But that fortune cookie is genius too!

vintagechica said...

Happy Chinese New Year to you too! Gotta use that age group comment.

Kate said...

Love the linen fortune cookies! Happy Chinese New Year!

Wen Jing said...

I made Josh a ham and cheese sandwich out of fabric the other day. Hee hee. It was his idea, and certainly not postable. Cute fortune cookie and Shin Nyen Kwai Le. Nyan, nyan yo u. Man, my romanization stinks!

Erin said...

Love the cookie. Sun Neen Fai Lok - hopefully I just wished you a Happy New Year. My daughter taught me that. They had a Chinese New Year celebration at school on friday. You never know, she could have tricked me into saying something rude.

Heather said...

Happy Chinese New Year! What a great saying, James is always competing with Claire, it's always a race to see who gets into their PJs first or who finishes their breakfast first. Of course, Claire could care less and has no idea she's even competing.

shiso mama said...

happy new year! soy pudding - i've been calling it sweet tofu. did you stew some peanuts to go with it? that's my favorite, although i'm usually too lazy.

ruth said...

Happy New Year to you. May the Year of the Boar be happy and prosperous for you.

Erica said...

Kung Hey Fat Choi! May your year be prosperous!

Original Ting said...

Happy New year - wan shi ru yi.

Angela said...

Oh I love your fortune cookie and the wise saying! :)
Thanks for the food props. I think you're pretty genius too.

Mama said...

Ha! I have to remember that one... Very cute cookie too.

lera said...

love your fortune cookie! (and angela's food, too)

i love your saying. i think i will need to use that on my boys, as they are so darn competitive all the time. i do the same thing that megan does telling them they are my favorite 4/6/8/10/girl/baby.

And Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family.

Carol said...

how clever! very cute cookies. happy year of the golden pig!

kimberly said...

Happy Chinese year to you!! One of my students is Chinese and says this is the year of the pig. I was born in the year of the pig and according to her I should wear lots of red to bring good luck. Sooo cool!
oh and I love your fortune cookie!
Sorry I'm so behind on blog reading.