Monday, February 19, 2007

Baby blocks


A few of the gals at church are throwing a baby shower. This is my first time being involved in any kind of baby shower planning, and so far it's been loads of fun. We met a couple weeks ago to brainstorm food, decorations, invitations, etc. and I must say that it's so great to be doing this with a group of creative people. Creativity with a purpose--the best kind! We decided fairly early on that the theme would be books. When I was going through the Hancock's of Paducah catalog to get some ideas, Michael Miller's Dick and Jane fabric jumped right out at me. That pretty much determined the color scheme for decorations--primary colors. And the best part is that I get to do some sewing to make table centerpieces. I'm going to make little fabric toys that the mama can take home after the party. So far I've made these fabric blocks. They're 4"x 4"x 4". The fabric is interfaced with wool felt and they are filled with fiberfill.


Also, someone let me know that the link I made the other day to the crochet baby blanket didn't work. I guess you have to be registered at the Lion Brand website to see the pattern. Here's the picture of the blanket from the catalog. The cool thing is that it only requires the single crochet stitch and it supposedly comes together really quickly because you work 3 strands of yarn at the same time on this honkin' huge crochet needle. A good project for a beginner like me. Anyway, I think I'm going to do the one in the green colorway. Yeah, I know. The picture I took is so terrible it looks more grey than green.

20 comments:

Kate said...

Perfect fabric for the blocks! Great present.

Erin said...

Oh my goodness serendipity Jojo. I was just checking back with your blog so I could link to your Feb 4 post about your fabric from Z&S. Imagine my suprise when I saw your lovely Dick and Jane baby blocks. I just recieved the same Dick and Jane Fabric today from Z&S - Thanks to your post feb 4 I decided to check out the store and fell in love with Dick and Jane fabric. I have no clue what I will use it for but those baby blocks are such a brilliant idea.

Anyways, I hope you don't mind I posted (and linked to you - hope that's okay)all about your lovely fabric and blocks.

BTW...when is your bday. You said on my blog that we are the same age for a few weeks. I wanted to thank you for your comments but your email address isn't listed. I took my email off my blog as I was having major issues. If you want you can email me at
erinsoriano(at)shaw(dot)ca

Take care!
Erin

Abby said...

I love the blocks and the fabric.

kirsten said...

i did get some of that fabric - oh what fun! toy centerpieces is SUCH a great idea.

Katie said...

Love those baby blocks! The mom will be thrilled.

capello said...

cute and cute!

i have no clue how to crochet. or knit. i'm rather jealous.

keri said...

Those blocks are oh so very cute!

ruth said...

Those blocks are lovely, they have such a vintage feel to them.

shizzknits said...

Such cute blocks! I just saw that fabric the other day and was racking my brain trying to figure out where I could use it. Love the blocks idea.

Alicia A. said...

Those blocks are so great. And the fabric? I am such a sucker for fabric with text on it.

I ordered a catalog from H.O.P. It may be dangerous.

Aja Abney said...

Love those blocks! I made some a couple of years ago for my son and all of my kids still love them because they can throw them at each other and no one gets hurt. LOL

Mama said...

The blocks are darling-- What a wonderful idea and great use of that fabric. Fun!

feather nester said...

I love the blocks! They'll be perfect.

lera said...

I've been seeing that Dick and Jane fabric lately and loving it. Your blocks are great!!! (did you see Autum's post how she organized her scraps by cutting them into squares?)

Erin W said...

Very cute! I have wanted to get some of this fabric for the past couple of weeks now. Great way to use it.

Jo said...

I ordered the Dick and Jane fabric last week! Your blocks are a super idea

Heidijayhawk said...

very cool idea!

Lindsey said...

The blocks look very vintage and I am sure your friend will love them :)

jenrdh29@yahoo.com said...

I Love the blocks. Any way you can tell us more about how to make them. I would love to make them for my kids. I love the fabric. You are awesome!jen

Shannon Anderson said...

I love a tutorial on how to make those!!:) Too cute!!!