Saturday, January 27, 2007

obla di

When I was a student I always had the hardest time coming up with titles for term papers. Now as I blogger, I find myself in the same predicament. I've decided not to care anymore if the title is catchy or not, so from here on out who gives a rip? ok? :) Ok. Now that that's settled, I have a couple of things to share.

First up--

Thanks so much for all the suggestions recently on where to get zippers. I will keep that in mind the next time I need them, which will be in about 10 years from now because look what I got in the mail from Kelli! And the fun part is that a lot of them are still in their original retro packaging from the 40's and 50's. I can't wait to think of some fun ways to put these to use. Thanks Kelli!

Secondly, I mentioned that I'm doing the In-Stitches along. I decided to make the photo holder, but had a really hard time with it because I tried using something other than Timtex. I'd already heard the pitfalls of substituting, but for some reason, I thought those warnings didn't apply to me. Anyway, it took me 2 tries and about 4 hours to make, and the result was a bunched up thing that wouldn't flatten out or fold properly, so I decided to cut my losses and make it out of cardstock instead.

I don't know if it still qualifies for the sew-along, although I did sew in the pocket, so technically it has some stitches, right? But I must say, I loooooove working with paper, and I love the look of grommets and I think the likelihood of making more of these is pretty great since it involves 1) a small time commitment, 2) no interfacing, 3) no ironing, 4) no pinning. And it's flat, so it can be sent easily. And I don't think I need to mention the endless possibilities of fabric/paper/color combinations. You get the point.

Before I sign off, take a look at Blackbird's hilarious post today (at least I think it's hilarious!). Now off to look for some Zakka objects in my house...


13 comments:

blackbird said...

hey!
thanks for the nice link...
NOW SHOW ME SOME ZAKKA.

Dawn said...

jojo..
you are right..blackbird had me laughing out loud..
...trying to imagine anyone other than an 80 pounder wearing that generous SKIRT!
OI!

caitlyn said...

The photo holder looks lovely!!

keri said...

Hehe, I had a good laugh with that one!

The photoholder is very pretty, love the colors you used together.

erin s. said...

I have the same problem coming up with catchy titles. I always have lots to say, just the title part stumps me.

I love the photo holder. What a neat idea.

Eren said...

Love your in-stitches work!!! Still trying to find timtex around here...sigh.

Cathy said...

Love the zippers! The photo holder is very well done, I really like the colors.

kimberly said...

Oh those titles! I have the same problem. I've taken the 'who cares' attitude now too.
Oh and congrats on the land!! Sounds great!

Cathy said...

BTW, I have that song stuck in my head now!

Katie said...

That is so cute! I hardly ever bother with post titles. I only use one if something comes to me, but I don't think too hard about it.

Melissa said...

great job on the photo holder and I love those zippers!

lera said...

Yowsa! You hit the zipper jackpot!! (Kelli is very thoughtful like that, isn't she?)

I like your paper photo holder. The papers look great together. And who doesn't love quick projects?

Mama said...

Oh, my goodness-- I just found your site and love it. I need a day to look at your links, to make the shoes, to read your pages... I've added your site to mine so I can incorporate it into my daily look at blogs. Thanks!!

writemamawrite.blogspot.com