Monday, January 15, 2007

Land


Quick post! We're so excited! We just closed on a piece of property on an island. We're land owners. Wooo hooo!

When hubby was little, his parents owned a piece of property adjacent to a farm. His dad would drive the kids out there and they'd spend an afternoon traipsing around, chasing the dog, making trails, digging ditches, drinking hot chocolate and roasting marshmallows. They'd drive home bone tired and his mom would be waiting with an pizza casserole in the oven. Ever since we've been married, this has been a dream of ours--to have a getaway away from the suburbs. A place for the kids to run free. And now we've got it.

And now the wheels are turning. Now that it's ours, what are we going to do with it? At this point, we're thinking it would be great fun to build a yurt and maybe decorate it like this. Fun stuff to dream about when we're snowed in this week.

We're used to snow. We used to live in Michigan and commuted all winter long with no problems. But Michigan was nice and flat--not hilly like it is here. They plowed and salted there, they don't here. Anyway, here we live on top of a hill, and I'm pretty sure we could drive down it alright, but my concern is whether or not we'd be able to make it back up. So we've been housebound for the past 4 days. Thank goodness we had lots of milk in the fridge and had recently stocked up the pantry. What's especially frustrating about being snowed in is that I have this:

burning a hole in my pocket, and I need to get to JoAnn's so that I can finish this:

BTW, the gift cards? That's what happens when you pay for a roof on your JoAnn's credit card. Heh heh.

22 comments:

gina said...

When you said Yurt, I immediately thought of Design Inc's do. What an incredible dream. Congrats. I am ready for the snow to be gone. Yep, READY!

erin said...

Congratulations on owning land. A dream of mine too. Not one that will be fulfilled any time soon:(
I hope you get to enjoy it lots.

As for the snow. I hear ya. We live on the west coast of BC so we are getting the same snow. It was pretty for the first few days, but now I am over it. I don't know what's worse the rain and wind storms or the snow!

Megan said...

Fantastic! What a fabulous getaway for you and your family - your boys will have such fond childhood memories of it I am sure. So excited for you.

Gina said...

Congrats to you, how wonderful!

Jodie said...

Good luck with it all! Hope it all goes well for you. Really love your work and your blog.

Would love you to check out my site and tell me what you think...comments extremely appreciated...

http://www.vintagefilm.typepad.com

syko said...

That sounds wonderful! My father bought a piece of land close to the sea this Autumn and will start to build a Summer house for us next Summer. It will be a paradise, I'm sure. I will live in the garden for three months and the kids will run around naked and happy (taht's what we do here in Scandinavia ;-) Good luck with your project!

Ali said...

How exciting! Planning your own Yurt has to be the best snowed-in activity!

I tagged you too - hope you don't hate them too much.

keri said...

Oh that is so cool, I've always wanted to live on an island! I can't wait to hear more as plans develop, and yurt's? Way cool!

kirsten said...

congrats!
(the joann's credit card - stroke of genius! :)

Alicia A. said...

We have a very simiar dream. But we want to try to build a straw bale house on our land.

Congrats!!

Cathy said...

Your land and plans sound lovely. I would be so happy with a yurt on an island. Congratulations!

Ruth said...

Congratulations on the land purchase! It will make wonderful memories for the boys even if all you ever do is pitch a tent to go camping!

Lindsey said...

Woo hooo indeed. We are all excited for you too! What a great feeling it must be to have your own land. The yurt on the link looks amazing.... oh so many hours of fun ahead for you all...

beki said...

How exciting!
Wait, there's such a thing as a JoAnn's credit card? Man, I wish we had JoAnn's around here!!

capello said...

that was one fine lookin' yurt.

i guess all that pinching and saving you do has *really* paid off. congrats!

African Kelli said...

Paying for major household expenses on a JoAnn's credit card = brilliant!! I'm sending you lots of good get out of the house vibes. And major congrats on the land!

joyce said...

congratulations on your new land! how exciting...
i wish we could be housebound for awhile - i'd love to take a break from work...

lera said...

congrats on the land! my husband has been looking for YEARS for some land to build a cabin. we're just waiting for the right time. (meaning money!) for now we can only dream!

and lucky you for having those giftcards. not so lucky how you acquired them, though.

Lori said...

I watched that Yurt recon on TV and instantly fell in love with the idea of a yurt.

Congrats on the purchase. Oh... and my purchase... I just bought some of that moda yellow pinwheel fabric (sorry - don't know the name) and I am loving it.

Katie said...

Yay for your own piece of dirt! We need to find a place further out in the country. The neighbor thing is getting old. I love my neighbors, but we have a few who do all they can to make trouble. It's annoying.

Soo said...

congratulations! I can't imagine being snowed in for a few days, would be nice to take a break from everything - although with those store credits, I'd want to shop too!

shiso mama said...

congratulations! before we bought our place and poured all of our past, current and future funds into it, we had considered buying a tiny little apartment, and then buying some land in the mountains or by the beach. i'm not sure why exactly, since we're basically concrete-lovers, but it seems so idyllic.