Monday, December 18, 2006

Warm again

Coffee--the old fashioned way:



Thanks to last week's windstorm we've been without power since Thursday night. Things weren't so bad on Friday. We were hopeful that the electricity would be turned on soon. We had plenty of firewood for the day and our gas cooktop for heating water and doing simple cooking. Then we drove around in the van to stay warm and got to see the actual damage. Holy moley. In our little neighborhood alone, there are at least 15 downed trees. One of our neighbors managed to have a tree smash down on their car AND their house, blocking their front door. Friday night we scoped around some more and went to the only grocery store around that was open (running on a generator). It was full of people, but there was hardly any food. No bread, no milk...we bought some canned soup and Ramen noodles. It felt like a war zone (minus the war, of course)...now I know why my dad and mother-in-law and anyone else who has lived through a war seems to have a perpetually well-stocked fridge and pantry. We went home got out our sleeping bags, roasted marshmallows and camped out in front of the fireplace. Saturday morning we woke up to a 50 degree house. We drove around to survey the damage and then realized that it all looked exactly the same as it had the day before. Radio reports were very Seattle-centric, which is fine normally, but when you want to find out specifically how things are doing on the eastside, forget it! No info about how things were progressing and no one was willing to commit to anything.

Here's a recurring conversation:

me: Awww. Mikey's crying. What do you think is wrong?

hubby: Well, is he hungry?

me: No. I just fed him. Maybe he's not feeling well. He does have kind of a runny nose.

hubby: Maybe he's just cold. Yeah. He's cold.

We finally decided to go to a hotel. We had to drive about half an hour to find one with electricity and a vacancy (of course). It was a hotel that normally charges about $130/night for a room. . . not a fancy place at all. They charged us $280. Because they could! We got one of the last rooms. People behind us in line were turned away.

Anyway, I won't go on and on with this story. I'm just glad that we're back home and we're warm and we don't have to wonder anymore if Mikey's crying because he's cold. They're saying that in some areas people won't be getting electricity back until at least Thursday. Brrrrr.

A couple of pics from around the neighborhood:


22 comments:

Megan said...

My goodness, what a nightmare for you, especially with a little baby. Dirty rotten price hiking motel owners, that was rotten of them taking advantage like that.

Glad you are back home and warm. Just shows how we take food and shelter for granted, doesn't it? And what is really important in life...

Have a great Christmas, Jojo!

Ali said...

Wow - scary stuff. So glad you're safe (and warmer now!).

African Kelli said...

Oh man. That so stinks. Shame on those hotel owners who took advantage of the situation. I am glad you are back home and safe. I'll keep your neighborhood in my thoughts!

Kate said...

I'm glad you are home and warm now - hope everything is back to normal for everyone by Christmas.

kirsten said...

glad you guys are alright - what lame hotel-people! crazy storm!

autum said...

I'm so glad you are safe and warm. Shame on the hotel owners. Profiting from the misfortune of others is the lowest of low. What goes around comes around though.

rebecca said...

so glad to hear you are all okay! we lost power thursday night but were back up and running saturday afternoon. 44 hours was about all i could take. definitely makes you realize how ill prepared we are for a major disaster -- and how much of our lives rely on electricity!

Heather said...

Wow, I'm so glad you guys are ok! I'm glad you guys got a room and are warm at home again. It was actually 70 degrees here today but it'll be back in the 40s tomorrow. I know I wouldn't last very long without electricity. We lost our power last winter and we have a gas fireplace but it's enclosed in glass and the blower that blows all the warm air out is electric so it wasn't very helpful at all!

keri said...

Thank goodness you guys are ok. Glad you are back home safe and sound (and warm). Merry Christmas!

Wendy said...

I live in New Hampshire and we have been hearing about the wild weather in the north west! Glad to hear that you all are safe and warm! Shame on those price hiking hotel owners! Evil-doers will have their judgement day :)

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness! I'm glad you are all ok and are warm again. And you should complain to your state about the price gouging... during hurricanes here, price gouging is a huge no-no!

I agree with you about the older generation and their stocked shelves and fridges. It pains my mother when she visits and my fridge is what she considers 'empty'. One year (I was still single), she went out and bought a ton of food for me.

Lindsey said...

You poor things! I'm glad to hear you are all warm again :) What a shame that the hotel charged extra - I bet you didn't get any extra service though!

capello said...

yikes!

i'm so glad that you and your family are safe and you found a hotel room.

a few years ago we had an ice storm and were had no power for seven days. we didn't get out of the city because i was very, very pregnant, so we huddled in the basement (where our gas fireplace is) the whole time.

angela said...

Aw, that is not any fun! I'm sorry for you all...and $280. a night!!!! That is wrong.
I hope everything returns to normal soon. Thinking of you. :)

Melissa said...

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, hoping your holiday goes better and warmer! A few years ago (actually it was 3, just after teaser was born...he was just 10 days old) our heater went out on Christmas eve. Basically we spent the next few days bundled up and teaser was held the entire time in a zip up jacket of mine near me so he could stay warm.

beki said...

I'm glad that you're okay, I was worried! Being without electricity for long stretches of time is no fun. I've only done it in the heat, not the cold.
Did your new roof make it without any problem?

Eren said...

Holy cow! Ive been thinking so much about all of you dealing with the storm. So glad to hear from you and that you are back sunggling at home. Cozy up with each other and just enjoy the simple things, huh? Take care!

BMT said...

Wow...I freak when I blow a fuse in my house...I can't imagine losing electricity for all that time and with little ones!!! I would definately make it known in the community what that hotel did!! How rude and especially during the Holiday season...good will towards men and all that...I hope they are kept awake at nights thinking about what they did!!!

kathy said...

Glad to hear you're OK. I did a blog check of all the Washington folks on Monday and was a little worried when you hadn't posted.

Greg said there were some people selling local chickens at the grocery store on Saturday (both our grocery stores were without power until Sunday morning). He didn't bother looking at the price but said everyone that went over to ask about them turned away with a grumpy look on their face. Shame on people for trying to take advantage. Your hotel story is outrageous.

Merry Christmas and enjoy the rest of the week with your family.

Mirre said...

I'm glad you're all safe! And warm again :)

Karyn said...

Oh my goodness, it sounds like you've been trough quite an ordeal. I'm glad you're back and home and safe.

weirdbunny said...

How awful that a hotel would cash in in a crisis ! I'm sure the trading standards would have something to say about that.

Anyhow I thank the Lord that you are all safe and sound.