Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Apple Squeeze Story


A few weeks ago we went on a road trip to Anderson Island, WA to this down-homey apple squeeze being held at historic Johnson Farm. We woke up early, did the drive-thru breakfast thing, drove for an hour, took the ferry for 20 minutes. The boys were super excited to be there. We pulled up and parked when I realized I wouldn't be able to actually go with them because it had been a long car ride and Mikey needed to nurse. So I sent them off with Dave to enjoy the festivities while I stayed behind in the van. Whatever. Par for the course. So I'm sitting there with Mikey when a red sports car pulls up and parks in front of me, but no one gets out. Next thing I know the young couple in the car is making out passionately and is totally unaware that I can see everything. Gah--some people! Get shaded windows already! So I tried to avert my eyes and think pure thoughts (ha ha). When they were done with their business, they stepped out and, lo and behold, the girl was wearing the most beautiful coat I'd ever seen: Long, dark brown tweed with large felt flowers in fall-harvesty colors hand-appliqued along the bottom. Not the most discreet girl ever, but at least she had some fashion sense.

These little shoes were inspired by that coat. If I had a girl I like to think that I wouldn't just stick to pinks and purples. I really like the "peasant" look of these shoes. One of my friends is having a baby girl and these shoes will be going to her. But I figured they wouldn't get much use if she didn't have something to wear them with. So I had to make her a top. Do you know how hard it is to find plain onesies in earthy colors? Next to impossible. So I took my first foray into fabric dyeing, and am pleased to say it was actually pretty easy. The hardest part was to keep the kids from touching the dye bath because they were so intrigued.



FYI, in case you're interested:
The shoes were made from a placemat from Crate and Barrel.
Rit dye: cocoa brown

Oh, and one more thing. Look what I had today. MMMMMM. Peanut butter pumpkin cookies. Recipe courtesy of AfricanKelli found here.

20 comments:

Megan said...

Saw these over on Flickr, wanted to say that I really loved the colour combination you have put together. The story that goes with it - er, one of those tales you just can't make up.

rebecca said...

Nice shoes and nice story.....love the idea of using placemats!

Angelika said...

You should have tried to talk her out of her coat for your silence!! Who knows, it might have worked. Isn't it interesting the places you find inspirations? ;)

Cathy said...

Cute shoes and onesie! And I definitely had some 'experiences' nursing my son in the car. Get a hotel already! Haha.

kirsten said...

when i found out i was having a girl (with #1) i went straight from the ultrasound to old navy, where i bought a beautiful BLUE rosebud print dress. very feminine, but not PINK. i don't think i bought a single thing pink for her - but that's what everyone gave her... and now it's her favorite color.

Dawn said...

Love 'em....You are on a roll, girl!!! I need to try these...

keri said...

The shoes are so cute, and I love the colors. I can't believe you made them from a placemat, you are so crafty!

lera said...

I really like how you've matched the onesies to the shoes (and for the "2 Avas," too). Very nice.

mira said...

my mom just sent me a link to your blog. as if I (an aspiring seamstress with merely a mini janome, some thread, a pair of scissors and a seamripper) need any MORE ideas for things to do with my time.

(waasup.blogspot.com)

mira said...

oh, and I love the shoes, which is what I originally clicked on the "comment" button to say before getting sidetracked talking about my mother who is, in fact, quite wonderful (in case she happens to check back ;-) and an established craft person to boot)

capello said...

oh, wow look at those cookies.

ah, young love. when everything is so overwhelming you have to have it now-now-now. at least you got somethin' out of the deal (get your mind out of the gutter, i was referring to the color palette inspiration. geesh).

beki said...

Oh my!
The shoes and onesie are adorable! I love anything with appliqued flowers, no matter what colors they are.

angela said...

Your funny. Love the shoes and the colors are great.
Cookies look yummy!

joyce said...

great shoes!...and a funny story!

Melissa said...

I love the colors that you chose, especially the cocoa brown rit dye for the onesie.

The cookies look yummy but your coffee is looking even more inviting to me with the swirl in the center and it's sooo cold here today (our heater is broken on the lower level...getting it fixed finally this week).

shiso mama said...

i love the color combination, and how they're not standard "girl" colors. before my best friend had her girl, she was telling me that she had inherited all the boy cousins' clothes, and how she was going to be dressed up in blues all the time. strangely enough, i've only seen her in pink and lavender, and everything looks sparkling new!

Wendy said...

Oh how embarrasing! but what an inspired little outfit and shoes.

PeanutButtersMum said...

I just have to tell you that I LOVE the stuff you make! The shoes and onesies are gorgeous! In case I need a gift in the future, do you take orders?

I'm bookmarking your blog so I can keep watch on what you're making!

amandajean said...

I like your idea of dyeing and embellishing onesies. A few weeks back I bought a pair of knit slippers for my little girl. They are brown, red, green and other earth toned colors. They were so adorable I couldn't pass them up....even though she has nothing to wear with the slippers....nothing at all. At first I thought I would try to knit a sweater to match them, but I think I would rather give this a try instead. Thanks for the great idea!

African Kelli said...

what did you think? Love those shoes in the other post too! Your site is so great. I am enjoying the creative vibe.