Monday, October 02, 2006

Baptism


Thanks for your well wishes on Mikey's baptism. It was special for us...a little bit bittersweet, since this is the last time we'll be experiencing this with a baby of ours. Funny how I always figured things with the last baby would be a little more ho-hum, been there, done that. But it's absolutely not true. If anything, I'm savoring it all even more.

Anyway, about the event:

Most of our extended family is spread all over the country. The relatives that are the closest to us are Dave's bro and sis-in-law in Portland. They were able to spend the weekend with us, which was wonderful! We had a great time visiting with them and were so glad they were able to share Mikey's special day with us.

After the baptism we sang a song for Mikey. It's was Davey's first time to hold a microphone, so that was a big big deal. We sang "Beautiful." It's the song we sing every night before the boys go to bed.

Beautiful Beautiful
Jesus is beautiful
And he's making beautiful things of my life
Carefully touching me
Making my eyes to see
That he's making beautiful things of my life.

Such a simple song, but so full of hope. Makes me tear up when I hear my little guys sing it--off key, off-tempo...I love 'em. Anyhoo...

Since we don't have much family around, we are trying to create a "family" here made up of friends. So we invited a bunch of people over for dinner after church. It was mostly food from Costco. I love to cook, but at this point in my life I can't do gourmet when I entertain. I can either have a clean house or make a nice meal, but I can't do both at once. Well, maybe I could if I had a maid. I always sort of dread having people over, get grumpy, etc. But when everyone's gone home, this huge wave of accomplishment takes over me and it's like, "yeah, we did it."

So, yeah, we did it.

13 comments:

Ali said...

Blessings Mikey, glad your special day was wonderful.

Megan said...

Yay you. Mikey is such a cutie pie! I agree about the savouring thing too - when you know it's the last time, you remember to remember. Did I make any sense? Need sleep. Will promise to come back another time when my brain returns.

Cathy said...

I'm glad it all went well. Mikey is going to have a beautiful life!

beki said...

Many blessings to you and your family! It sounds like it was a very special ceremony. I hear you on the clean house vs. nice meal. The only way I was able to get things accomplished for our baptism was to ship off the older two kids. It's amazing what you can get done with only one kid to deal with. I totally agree with you on savoring the last baby. Im eating up every precious moment.

kirsten said...

Congratulations! We never lived near family until very recently. I'm glad you had friends and some fam to come!

capello said...

Getting through anything, for me, is a milestone.

Happy Baptism to Mikey. (Is that proper? I don't know.) Many blessings!

capello said...

[re: my voice -- actually, no. i have an obnoxiously high, squeeky voice that makes telemarketers ask me to speak to my mommy]

joyce said...

best wishes on mikey's baptism...we're still trying to figure out when we're going to have ava's.

Lindsey said...

Beautiful Mikey, Beautiful Jesus and even beautiful costco (what with their lovely bargains). All in all a beautiful baptism with many beautiful memories for your family :)

Lindsey said...

Beautiful Mikey, Beautiful Jesus and even beautiful costco (what with their lovely bargains). All in all a beautiful baptism with many beautiful memories for your family :)

keri said...

Congratulations tok Mikey and your family. What a lovely, special day.

kimberly said...

Blessings and congratulations!! It sounds wonderful!

Ranee said...

That sounds like a lovely celebration. We will be baptizing our fifth child sometime between this Christmas and Epiphany. I don't know if the Portland you are near is in Oregon or Maine, or somewhere else, but we live up in Washington, and we will be your friends. :)