Monday, September 18, 2006

If You're Weird and You Know it Clap Your Hands

Blogging is a funny thing. I try to stay fairly anonymous--I don't reveal my last name, don't tell the exact city I'm in, hardly ever post a picture of myself. I'm not trying to be mysterious. I'm just trying to make it hard for all those crazy stalker types to find me. Then someone (my hubby) goes and blows it all by posting a picture of me in the hospital after having a baby. Ha ha! A post-op picture, I might add, in which my face is totally devoid of make up and poofy from being pumped full of IV fluids. So much for trying to create a good first impression.

I did post pictures of the two of us when we got married. But I figured no one on the street would be able to recognize me because, well, my head is small in the pictures, and that was when my brows were fashioned after Brezhnev's, and for goodness sakes--that was 13 years ago. I don't really look like that anymore.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, out of the blue, I got a comment on my blog from a new commenter, Susan, saying she was tagging me with a meme, and by the way, she went to college with me and my hubby and lived in the apartment downstairs from him and was suprised to find my blog and has been lurking ever since she followed a link from Mijk Improves. Hello? *And* she lives in the Netherlands. Small world. But it made me feel so great. Sort of how I felt when I ran into a high school friend at the Seattle IKEA. (I went to high school in Taiwan.) It had been years and years since I'd seen her and yet we recognized each other immediately. So bizarre and so wonderful.

Anyway, I'm posting a picture here of myself. I want you to know what I look like just in case we should pass on the street. Please come up and say hello...although you might not want to after you read this meme. In it I will be posting 5 weird things about myself. I had a hard time thinking these up, but Dave had no problem helping me. He could have easily come up with more.



1. I wash my feet before I go to bed at night. I wear flip-flops during the day and don't like the thought of getting my sheets all dirty. Here's the weird part--I wash my feet in the sink!

2. I often get angry when cleaning the house. I mutter under my breath. I get mad at the stains, mad at the raisins all smeared into the wood floor, mad that I have to be down on my hands and knees cleaning the floor, mad that no one is helping me. And then when someone is helping me, mad that they're not doing it right. Probably best to just stay out of my way when I'm cleaning. Yeah.

3. I can't drink alcohol. If I have more than one little sip my face will turn all hot and red. Then I'll get a throbbing headache, start crying uncontrollably and have to go to bed. I've been told it's an Asian-thing and that I'm lacking an enzyme. Some people think I'm just a teetotaller, but really, I'm ALLERGIC!

4. I love www.zillow.com --the home value website where you can type in an address and it will show you an area map and tell you what a house is worth. You can also find out how much the house sold for last, etc. An old high school friend wrote me a letter, and I looked up her house on zillow, and guess what? She lives on oceanfront property and her house is valued at 1.8 million dollars. OY!!! I tell myself that I like zillow because maybe someday I'd like to become a realtor and need to know different areas of the city and what homes are going for. But deep down, I know that I'm really just nosey.

5. I'm borderline OCD when it comes to checking on my garage door to make sure it's closed. We live on top of a hill, and maybe once a week or so I'll be halfway down the hill when I have to stop, turn around and check to make sure I've closed it. My boys are pretty good about putting up with this. "Oh mommy, you forgot to remember AGAIN!"

OK. Who wants to be tagged? How about Megan, Julia, Keri, Kathy and Anjo? If any of you have done this before, just ignore me. ;)


26 comments:

kirsten said...

okay, i just had to check my garage door - and it was open! thank you! :)
lovely photo - but the little guy steals it! what a mug!

Megan said...

Jojo you're gorgeous! What lovely skin you have. And teeth. And eyes. And sons.

I'm all for a good meme. Though, is it just co-incidence that it's about weird things and you tagged me?!

rebecca said...

wait, were you describing ME in item #2??? i totally do the same thing.

Mirre said...

It's lovely to see you :)))

Mijk said...

Oh you are defenitely not as weird as me and you are gorgeous. I am so sorry the chances of me running into you on the street are close to none..

rebecca said...

Just the title of the post made me want to read on!!!!!

Loved that post. And feel the same way you do about letting people know what you look like and so forth. You are lovely! And your birth picture did you justice as well.

Love the wierd things....love them! I have to check the house a gazillion times before I leave, 2 gazillion if I am going to be gone longer than 1 hour or so, so I totally understand the garage door thing!

autum said...

I already knew you had a beautiful heart, that is so evident in your writing, but now I see you have a beautiful face as well. I don't know if it makes me weird, but none of your items sounded that weird to me... especially number 2. I'm the exact same way... mad as fire I'm the only one cleaning but sure I'm the only one who will do it right.

Cathy said...

You look great in both of the photos that I've seen of you. I love pics of moms when they are holding their newborn... they ALL look beautiful.

And I don't think washing your feet is weird (or the fact that it is in the sink), it is a cultural thing, isn't it? I've seen many Asian women in public bathrooms washing their feet. I thought it was a good idea.

I mutter when I'm cleaning too! Maybe we can all be weird together.

Angela said...

What a great post Joanna! and what a beautiful photo of you! wow! You look so kind and happy! Thanks for showing us. ;-)
I liked your list. I do that when cleaning too and I love clean feet. It's not THAT weird is it? ;-)

keri said...

I'm tagged...now I just need to think of my weird things, this may be tough! =)

Love the photo and enjoyed reading about the things that set you apart.

beki said...

Joanna, you're so beautiful! I used to keep my blog more anonymous, but as time has gone on I've revealed more and more of myself.
I don't think you're weird at all, none of those things sound strange to me. Does that make me weird?

Ruth said...

I'm like that with the door to my office, the front door, the car...

Great photo of you and your son. Your both so photogenic.

kathy said...

What a beautiful photo you gorgeous gal. I'll play, just give me a little time, it will take me some effort to figure out which to share. Your list gave me a great laugh.

keri said...

me again, I just posted my list! =)

capello said...

::clap, clap::

Oy, could you *be* any cuter? Gah!

And thanks for the realator website. I'm seriously nosey too.

Erin said...

You are soooo pretty!!! And I loved your list : )

Angelika said...

Hi Joanna, it's not an asian thing. My husband is phillipino and after being in Germany 4 times he can put away the beer like a local (and I'm not talking about bud light)

krista said...

Hee, this was so funny. Thanks for sharing :)

I love the weird stuff about people!

Erica said...

I'm asian too and have that allergy. Though, not quite as bad. I can handle about one drink and I'm that's it. My mom on the other hand will go into anphalytic shock if she goes near the stuff.

Cindi said...

You are so lovely! I doubt I'll run into on the street, unless you come to SW Virginia. I am still waiting to read the weird stuff though, everything seems normal to me!

Wendy said...

Beautiful photo. I'm impressed you are flexible enough to get your feet into the sink.

weirdbunny said...

I am so excited !!!!!!

I've never ever been tagged before. I always see these questionaires going around and always want to do them.

Thank you, thank you so much!!

I'll have to think what to write now!

Also I love your photograph, your so beautiful!!!! Again thanks for thinking about me for the questionaire!

joyce said...

i'm w/ you on 1,3 & 4 - though after I got married my husband turned me into a night time shower person instead of a morning shower person -- but we do have to wipe our son's feet down before he gets into bed b/c he likes to walk bare feet if he's not wearing his little flip-flops.

Kim Carney said...

I am totally with you on the cleaning house/muttering nasty comments in my head/cleaning floor on my hands and knees. ;) That is a fantastic photo of you both ;)
Sometimes I come home and the garage door is open and I just know when I walk in to the house, everything will be gone. Then...it is usually someone just forgot to close it.

Dana said...

Jojo, you are beautiful! I have been looking at zillow ever since I read this post. My husband loves it!

Amber said...

"3. I can't drink alcohol. If I have more than one little sip my face will turn all hot and red. Then I'll get a throbbing headache, start crying uncontrollably and have to go to bed. I've been told it's an Asian-thing and that I'm lacking an enzyme. Some people think I'm just a teetotaller, but really, I'm ALLERGIC!"

I'm allergic too! But the strange thing is, I'm not asian, at all. I don't even have any asian heritage, but I have a very severe reaction to alcohol, and always have. It's definitely a missing enzyme, I've read up about it. It basically gives you a hang-over as soon as the alcohol hits your system (to put it in non-scientific terms).