Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I'm back! I guess I never mentioned I'd be gone...but we did a brave a thing. We brought our 3 boys on a plane across the country to beautiful Grove City, PA to visit Oma and Opa (Dave's parents) and the rest of the family. I was pretty nervous about it ahead of time--we went out on a red-eye flight, but of course had to arrive at the airport 3 hours ahead due to security. I was worried about the lack of sleep, waiting around at the airport and (gasp!) nursing in a public place, but everything went well. I'll spare all the mundane details, but the boys made us proud. Most of the horrors we'd anticipated didn't happen, and some of them did, but turned out to be not that horrible after all.

Aside from the actual travelling, we had a wonderful time with family. The boys got reaquainted with their cousins, and we all had a dreamy time in the dreamhouse that Oma and Opa designed and built. Everyone who visits ooohs and aaahs over it--it's architecturally beautiful and also decorated so perfectly. When I'm there I'm always so inspired by it all and think about all the possibilities for my own house.

And then I come back to my place and I'm catching up on laundry and unpacking and cleaning up after our cat who puked in 3 (possibly 4--I'm still sniffing something questionable, I just don't know where yet) places, including the quilt on my bed. And I realize that it would be futile to upgrade my furniture, bedding, etc. because it would just get puke, spitup, and you-name-it on it. I'm sure those of you with kids and pets understand. Sigh. Back to the real world.

Oh, did I mention, my husband is off for a month? Hee hee!!! We have a pretty extensive list of things we want to do while he's on "vacation" (it's actually infant care leave). Places to go, people to have over, catching up on things that have been put off for too long. He loves to cook, but work keeps him so busy that, aside from weekends, he really doesn't get to all that often. The first thing we did this morning was to hustle off to the grocery store to buy ingredients for the stack of recipes he's been stockpiling. Tonight he made us this--shepherd's pie with a side salad made of fennel bulb with yogurt dressing. YUM!

I'll post some pics of our trip later on this week. I need to get some serious sleep now.

8 comments:

Megan said...

Sleep well JoJo - that meal looks delicious.

Wendy said...

Sounds like you all had a great time. How lovely when someone else cooks for you. Enjoy your vacation time.

Ruth said...

The meal looks delicious. Glad you had a good holiday.

Cathy said...

Welcome back. I'm glad you had a great trip.

capello said...

Wow, even though you've been quiet, you've been *busy*. :-)

Cindi said...

You were missed! I am glad you enjoyed your trip. From one with only two sons, I totally understand wanting to change furniture but realizing the futility of it. I need a new couch bad. Since it is being used as a gymnastic mat/trampoline right now we will wait.

tamdoll said...

I love reading your blog & seeing all the things you make - is it okay if I put your link on my blog?

Angela said...

You are so brave. I barely go anywhere with one kiddo. I'm glad the trip was a success. AND that your hubby is home for a month! Enjoy. ;-)