Saturday, July 29, 2006

Cutting Implements and Other Nonsense

Someone came by the other day trying to sell me knives--someone I know from church. I'm usually not too keen on in-home sales/parties, etc. because I don't like the pressure to buy. She assured me that I was under no obligation to buy from her and that she was getting paid for each presentation regardless of whether I bought anything or not, so I did it as a favor to her. Anyway, she DID put on the pressure. I thought maybe I'd purchase one bread knife, just to make her happy. Well, guess what? They don't sell these particular knives like that. You have to buy the whole set, and the cheapest set costs $1,800. Ha ha ha!!!! If I had that kind of money laying around, I'd buy myself a new couch or a new sewing machine or all the fabric I wanted. Anyway, why I am telling you this? Not sure. Not much going on in my life these days, so I guess I have to write about solicitors.




A big thank you to Carrie at SommerDesigns. She has a beautiful website, which I visit often. Last week she was doing a scrap give-away, and look what I was fortunate enough to get. Thanks Carrie! :)I already know what I'm going to make with these pretties--2 tote bags for my nieces whom we will be visiting next month when we take a big trip to Pennsylvania. I think they need handmade goodies from Aunt Joanna. (Oh yeah, that's why we can't buy kitchen knives--we spent our money on plane tickets for 5!!!)

I'll leave you with a picture from our little jaunt to the beautiful Kirkland, WA waterfront last weekend. This photo was taken moments before Keith fell on the steps and scraped his leg. Then, of course the fun was over and we had to go home. Sigh. Dave and I have decided when we retire, we'll sell our house and buy a condo there. Ah. It is the most beautiful community where everything is in walking distance...Lake Washington, the library, art galleries, consignment stores, Noah's bagels and Sur La Table. What more could you need? It's a nice dream, anyway. :)

10 comments:

kathy said...

I love the picture of the kids. Pure joy at being out and playing in the sun. Greg and I have that condo dream too, we just don't know where it will be at. One day it's Las Vegas, the next Cancun, we'll see where we end up. How many years before the girls go off to college?

Cathy said...

The boys look so happy! Who wouldn't want to live there?! And what is up with salespeople and their "no strings attached" pitches... yuck.

keri said...

Sales pitches are one of my pet peeves, even though people say "no pressure" there is always some sort of pressure. I can't even imagine anyone I know who would spend that much on knives! I'd rather buy yarn...and fabric...and a sewing machine...=)

Wendy said...

What do you mean your not doing much, how busy can it be looking after 3 lovely boys. You are doing loads. They look like they were having a lovely time. Lucky nieces. I'm sure you will manage without those knives in your life.

monica said...

I'd love to live by the water... so peaceful. The air is 'different'. And there's nothing like sit by the water and read, or think, or stare into the horizon...

capello said...

$1,800 for a set of knives? Does it do husbandly-duties and make gormet meals on it's own? Geesh.

Oh, that sounds like a wonderful retirement community. I love walking-distance communities.

kimberly said...

$1,800???? Did you flip? I would have. I just got back from vacation again and am doing the old blog reading. I hope everything's going well. I love the picture of the three boys, please do include them every time. :)

Suse said...

I can't believe a set of knives cost $1800. Who on earth pays that price?

(Lovely pic of the boys)

weirdbunny said...

Poor you with the knife women. How long did you have to sit through the knife presentation?!! As though you haven't got better things to do with a new baby.

beki said...

Holy cow, those must be some darned fancy knives!
The fabric you received is just lovely, lucky you ;-)