Monday, July 03, 2006

Car Tote


Not being crafty yet. At this point Dave and I are trying to be super duper efficient so that we can keep our house in order. I'm doing 2 loads of laundry a day (I used to just do it when the piles got high), and I'm actually putting the clothes away instead of letting them pile on the sofa. I'm trying to cook meals earlier in the afternoon when Keith is napping so that I can pay more attention to him during his wake time. I'm keeping an actual shopping list (gasp!). I used to just take my time perusing aisles at the store. It was one way of killing time with Keith when Davey was in preschool. Now that school is out, the thought of going shopping with three boys is a bit daunting. Especially the thought that the little one will wake up screaming and hungry, wanting to nurse, when I won't be anywhere near getting checked out yet. Hasn't happened yet. What do you other moms of 3 do? I think I may have to just go grocery shopping at night after the boys are in bed. Yup.

Remember these tote bags that I made for Davey's preschool teachers? Davey helped me pick out the fabric at the store. Ever since then, he's been very opinionated about fabric. He'll go right up to a bolt and say, "I want this." No matter what, I can't talk him out of it. His last day of preschool when we were driving back home and talking about how he wouldn't see his teachers and classmates for a long time since it was summer vacation, he started to cry and was quite upset. I told him I would take him to the fabric store so he could pick out fabric for his tote bag for next year. So we went, he picked out the car fabric, and some yellow fabric for the lining. We got home and he wanted me to make it for him right away.

me: Sorry, fabric hasn't been washed yet.
Davey: Mommy, can you make it?
me: Sorry, I have to make dinner.
Davey: Mommy, can you make it now?
me: Sorry, it's bath time and then bedtime. I'll make it for you when you're sleeping and then I'll hang it on the peg so you can find it in the morning when you wake up.
Davey: Mommy, I want to snuggle it when I'm sleeping.
me: OK. I'll put it right by your head and you can reach out and snuggle it.
Davey: I love you, Mommy.

19 comments:

Megan said...

You get my vote for mother of the year.

And I am afraid I coped with three kids and grocery shopping by doing it at night. It was never fun - the last thing I wanted to do after everyone was tucked in was go grocery shopping - but I thought it was a lot easier than taking the three of them around with me.

Belinda said...

How sweet!!! I wondered how long it will be before they grow out of things handmade by mum...

Ali said...

You are a good mommy, and he's such a sweet boy for letting you know.

New babies and ordering groceries over the internet went together very nicely in our house.

I was miss efficient when Johnny was born - two steps ahead of everything because I knew I didn't have any slack to cope with a crisis. Sadly it didn't last...

Angela said...

Oh so sweet!What a nice post and what a wonderful mommy you are! 8-)

kathy said...

Really sweet exchange with Davey. It's great that you're capturing it in writing. Something I didn't do at all when mine were little like that. Good to see you back creating. I remember occasions where I gave the girls a bag of cheese puffs in the grocery cart to get through the store. Just loved those looks by disapproving moms. They're very well adjusted now and good eaters, don't stress too much about the small stuff.

rebecca said...

cute picture!! oh, and, yes -- you've discovered the secret. late night grocery shopping is the only way to go!

capello said...

Oh, how sweet!

I'm amazed by how quickly my children become opinionated when it comes to my crafting. They both add their two cents when they see me scrapbooking and sewing.

beki said...

Grocery shopping is a challenge. At the time being, we go as a family - two carts, two adults and the three kids. I've done it a few times alone with the kids, but that's only for a few things, not the weekly haul. And Ava always wakes up screaming before we get to the check out line. Fun times.

The bag is so cute! You're a good mama for making him that.

Wendy said...

What a wonderful mummy you are.You sound like you are getting very organised. I hope there is a little time somewhere for some rest for you.

weirdbunny said...

Your a super mum, doing laundry every day and making bags for the teachers!!

Cathy said...

It sounds like you are finding ways to make having 3 more organized. And you are so sweet to make a bag when you are overwhelmed with a new baby!

keri said...

It must be tough to keep up with everything like that, I think the secret must be to never let it snowball or you'll be in trouble! =) Hehe, good luck with that and Davey is such a cutie.

Happy belated 4th!

Monica said...

I've got three boys too! And my shopping trick is... grocery on line shopping/home delivery. It costs about £3 ($5/$6 US) but it's totally worth it. I don't do it all the time, but when the going get tough... the tough don't go grocery shopping!

And it saves you money because you don't impulse by. My vegetables are home delivered too by this organic farm company that's local to us. We're lucky like that.

Mirre said...

Aaaah, that's so sweet!!
I think you're doing really well as a mother of three :)))

Violet & Rose said...

I love that conversation. It sounds just so familiar. They can be so persuasive in the lovliest, sweetest way.
My pet hate is grocery shopping and my one indulgence is to do it on-line. If they do it in Australia, surely they do it in the States? Except I still go out to buy my Fruit and Veg at a little local F&V shop, where they know us by name, give the girls a banana to eat while I shop. It's the highlight of the day for them, and it makes life easier for me to have happy occupied children. But sounds to me like you are doing really well. Good luck.

Amy said...

Oh, the ideas that they get in their heads!! Thanks for the cute story -- so sweet. What a good mommy x3 you are!

joyce said...

that is very sweet of you! - what a great mommy!

craftymodster said...

Joanne, um...I think you can now pass for supermom. Really! It sounds like your are keeping up on things quite well and good. And how positively terrific, making the bag for your little guy with his beloved fabric!

As for the grocery shopping with 3...well I can barely manage with 2 most of the time, so much major kudos to you. I am positive you'll get the swing of 3 and it will be like you've always had a trio (well...). My girlfriend is preggo with her third and she's always telling me how easy her two are to take shopping, so I am wondering what she'll find with three? I'll have to inquire with her when the time comes. Hang in there super mum! xo anjo

kimberly said...

He's so cute!! That sounds like me- we'll do it later I'm busy right now- which is a very commonly heard sentence around here.
Gosh, shopping with 3 would be daunting to me too but I see people here doing it all the time. Of course, who knows how their nerves are handling it. ;o)