Thursday, July 20, 2006

Baby Stuff


I made these before Mikey was born, but haven't had the chance to blog about them. These are onesies that I embellished with fabric scraps left over from various projects. Looks easy, huh? For some reason, I had trouble figuring it out. I'd seen it done on other blogs where it looked like someone had used a compressed zig zag stitch (sorry, I'm sure my terminology is off, but you know what I mean, right?), but when I tried that, it looked all wonky. The stretchy fabric pulled every which way. Then I tried tear-off interfacing, and that didn't work either. Finally I used fusible web and changed the stitching to the SS mode (assuming that means stretch stitch???--I wouldn't know, I can't find the manual that came with my sewing machine), and that seemed to do the trick. Mikey's worn the car one a few times, and it's held up just fine in the wash.

This little outfit was made from a bedsheet I thrifted at Goodwill. I worked on the pants the night before I went into labor. Had I known it was my last night, I'm not sure I would have been doing this. My time would have probably been better spent cuddling up with my husband, because goodness knows, who has much time for that anymore? Har har.

And finally, because my entire life these days centers around my children, I can't post without including a picture of them.

22 comments:

Meegan Blue said...

My, oh my. Absolutely adorable...the onesies, the outfit and the swaddled kid-folk. You sure have three handsome, handsome boys!

Ali said...

Just look at your three gorgeous snuggly bugs.

I love the onesies too - so cute.

Cindi said...

I love the look of the onsies you did! I especially love the the picture of your beautiful children. You have to be so happy, even if all your time seems taken up by them!

Dawn said...

Priceless photo of the snugglies...LOL..
Thanks for posting the onesie saga for those of us who may go that same road...you save us the aggravation..

Amy said...

All are cute - but the three swaddled boys? Priceless! I have never tried the stretch stitch but that sounds quite logical. I usually avoid knit so I'm no expert - but using the zig zag stitch that is dotted instead of continuous helps too as it doesn't pull quite so much...

keri said...

what a cute little picture, all your boys just snuggled up!

I love the onesie, especially the little monkey fabric, did you find that at a particular store? i've been searching everywhere for it.

capello said...

The big boys look so happy wrapped up like the baby. If only that would work on my boys....

And I love the onsies. The only stich that seems to work right on my machine is the straight stitch. If I zigzag it seems too loose. I need to play around with it.

feli said...

The onesies are sooo cute. how did you manage to stitch it up without stitching the back? ehehhe...I am still learning how to sew.

Your children are so cute. I remember we did the same thing once when my baby sister was born. :*)

Mama Lamb said...

As a mom of three boys myself, I am here to remind you that the day does come when you do have time for other things, and then you look back longingly to the baby days (amnesia plays a roll) and wonder why it had to go so fast. My three, 5,9,and 12, have all run out to play and I am wistfully filling my time, waiting for them to need me again, LOL! Well, okay, I am folding some laundry too.

weirdbunny said...

Oh how cute do your children look all wrapped up like babies!!!!!!!!

April said...

What a cute photo of your kiddies. I love the onsies too.

beki said...

I love the picture of your boys! I know my older two would get a kick out of being swaddled like Ava.

I love your project. I bought some blank onesies to decorate before I had Ava, but I still haven't gotten around to making them. Thankfully I bought bigger ones, so I still have time. Thanks for the tips.

lindiepindie said...

Cute picture! I remember taking a picture of my boys like that - small, medium, and large. :o)

Cathy said...

Cute onesies and outfit! And I love, love, love the pic of the boys all wrapped up!

(btw, SS on my machine is stay stitch)

Wendy said...

That is such a beautiful photo of your three boys.

Tanya Nichols said...

Your babies are beautiful...and you can tell that you love them soo much...I know nothing about sewing but those onsies are ADORABLE...

joyce said...

great job w/ the onesies. love the picture of your boys swaddled up!

kitkatknit said...

Ah yes. We called that the burrito roll. (the blankie pic)

craftymodster said...

J-- Look at those boys! So hilarious and adorable! The onesies are too, too cute (I sometimes loathe the 'figuring-it-out' process!) and the top & pants outfit is so joyful and turned out smashingly.

I hope you are staying cool (at least cooler NOW!). Ugh.

xo-Anjo

Sandrine (alias Didine ♥ ) said...

OOOh I love so much the last picture of the 3 in the bed :) !!!! It's tooooooo funny :) And I love your creations :) Big smooches to you my sweetie !

Monica said...

How wonderful. You must be bursting at the seams with pride and love.

I know I am of my three monsters. When they're still for long enough for me to actually being able to look at them!!

kathy said...

Oh my goodness, that picture of the boys is all time. So sweet.