Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Twin Totes

Get this, the check engine light came on in our van. Since our only other vehicle is a truck, which only holds 2 people, this is a bit of a problem. This is making me really nervous. Nervous to take it in to get checked--what if I go into labor and the van is in the shop? Nervous to not get it checked--what if it breaks down when I'm on the way to the hospital? AAAAAHHHHH! Sometimes I hate being a grown up. I miss the days when I could let my mom and dad do all my worrying for me. I'll let you know what we end up doing.

twin totes

Anyway, Davey's last day of preschool is officially Friday--a picnic at a classmate's house who lives out in the sticks. But with our van the way it is, I think we're probably going to miss it. This means I have to get these tote bags to his teachers earlier than anticipated--tomorrow. Lucky for me, Mr. Keith took a nice long nap today and I got them done. Davey helped me pick the fabric last week, and yesterday we went to the store and bought some goodies to put inside--Matchbox cars, circus peanuts and Hershey's kisses. Num!

By the way, the flower on the left is from Blair's tutorial. I had a really hard time making it, I think, partially because of my swollen fingers and partially because of my dull scissors. Anyway, the one on the right was made similarly, but with pinking shears. Instead of cutting all the curves I just did simple circles. Hooray for shortcuts!

17 comments:

autum said...

Beautiful, lovely, wonderful, fabulous... couldn't think of just one adjective that was enough. I think I like the short-cut flower best. You are going to make a couple of teachers very happy!
I say get the van checked. You don't want to break down on the way to the hospital. Here's hoping it is nothing major.

Dawn said...

I really love these totes!!! Great work!!! Who would NOT love these!!!???

Megan said...

Hooray for shortcuts indeed. They look fabulous.

capello said...

Pretty bags!

I hope your van magically fixes itself you your fingers stop being swollen. You have enough to worry about as it is.

kyrie said...

oh, i wish i were those teachers. these are fabulous bags!!!

Courtney said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I love your patchwork bags...

Leslie said...

The totes are beautiful. I, too, envy those teachers. Being a teacher myself, I always loved handmade gifts. I know they will too.

Belinda said...

oh Joanna, their gorgeous!!! I hope things work out with the van.

kathy said...

Really pretty. The lucky teachers are going to love them!

Wendy said...

I just found your lovely blog through Autum and I was going to encourage you to make a peg bag, but having read a bit you seem rather busy at present. Those bags are beautiful, lucy teachers.

rebecca said...

I wish I could sew as good as you and make my teachers totes! The flowers looks great too. I have seen that tutorial, and I think you did a fine job, especially like the pinked one.

Hang in there, maybe you should rent a big enough car? Or just check yourself in the spa area of the hospital, where they bring you anything you want to eat/drink, foot massages, back rubs. The works.

Erin said...

Lucky, lucky teachers! These bags are beautiful.

Lisa said...

Gorgeous totes! Is that Liberty of London fabric? I am working on a Liberty quilt and think I spy some of my favorites in your totes.

I am sending you positive van vibes!

kimberly said...

Gorgeous bags. Girl, you are on a roll. Do you still talk to us mortals?
Can you get me some of that whatever you're taking, I need it?
Are you sure you don't want to join bagaholics? It seems you do have a bit of a problem. ;o)

RANDI said...

The bags are great--the teachers will LOVE them!

weirdbunny said...

You have made those as thank you presents for his teachers!!!!!!!!!!! oh my goodness how loveley are you, my kids teachers usually get a bar of soap of me!!!! At christmas I bought them a pair of socks each!!!!!!

beki said...

Those totes are stunning! Those teachers are so lucky ;)