Friday, June 23, 2006

They're Gone!

Dave's parents, Oma and Opa, came to help out with the boys for 10 days. It's been a whirlwind of activity at our house--lots of noise, laughter, good food, fun, and conversation. Thankfully, Oma always made sure I had plenty of time to rest and bond with Mikey, and both of them were so gracious about watching the boys during the many doctors visits we've had to make for both me and the babe. Amazing how many of those there are. My incision became infected and I'm now on antibiotics, which seem to be helping. It's frustrating that I'm still not feeling like my old self yet. I just don't have the energy level I had at this time after my other c-sections. I can't wait to feel "normal" again.

Anyway, I don't know what I'm going to do without Oma and Opa. Three kids is really hard!!!! Keith loves to be out in the backyard, Davey is my indoor boy, and I'm constantly running back and forth between the two. Davey has been an angel with Mikey from the start. Lots of hugs and kisses. Keith, on the other hand has been showing anger, aggression, and a general bad attitude. Not towards the baby, thank goodness, but towards us. If I ask him to do anything, the answer is pretty consistently "I don't want to!" I can't wait to have my old Keith back. I'm hoping in the next few weeks....

****
The other day we stopped off at Baskin Robbins for some ice cream, and our pastor's wife, "Miss Beverly" happened to be there with her daughter. My Davey is totally in love with Miss Beverly. She teaches children's church and a few weeks ago she sent him a little card in the mail which he promptly put in his treasure box and told me that he would keep forever. Ever since then, whenever he sees her, I swear, his face lights up and little hearts float out of his head. Anyway, at the ice cream shop, he went right up to her and very loudly introduced his little brother: "Miss Beverly, this is my little brother Mikey. He still has his umbilical cord!" Yes, that is the most salient piece of info you should know about Mikey.
And for the record, it fell off this morning.

14 comments:

Mirre said...

Aaaah, such a cute photo!!
You must be so busy with your boys; I hope your feeling your old self again real soon!!

Cindi said...

When our third child was born our second child ask us to return him to where we got him. She loves him now, 8 years later! I have also had three c-sections. It seems like you felt yourself quicker, but, sometimes we have selective amnesia. You will be better soon. Gets lots of rest. I will be praying for you.

Megan said...

Ha, kids! They'll tell the world everything you don;t really think the world needs to know! Three really is haaaaaaaaard. You sound like you're doing all the right things taking care of yourself - keep it up, you're the lynch pin of the family and need to be looked after!!!

weirdbunny said...

I'm glad the infection is getting better with medication. It's hard sometimes for brothers and sisters when a new babe arrives. When we had Gwen ellis wanted her to go back to the hospital. He was horrified in the morning to find she was still at home. In fact she lived on the dining room table for weeks so he wouln't notice her. He was 23 months! Luckily she was a really quite and good baby.

Ali said...

Scary isn't it, those first days when your extra help disappears and the reins are yours again. Sorry to hear about your infection and hope the drugs help you bounce back quickly.

My mother has kept the cord stumps from both my brother and I. She showed mine to my kids and I was so worried one of them would mistake it for a rasin and try to eat it. Gross.

lindiepindie said...

After #3 was born, the hospital sent me home with a schedule of how I would feel and when. Under the heading of "4 weeks" it said, "You're back to your old self!" I had already been through it twice and knew they were CRAZY! It takes time, and I think it takes more time the more children you are caring for. Hang in there. It will get better - for everyone.

I love how his little clothes are still so baggy.

keri said...

What an adorable photo! I don't have any baby stories to share like everyone else, but I will wish you luck and send positive thoughts your way that you're feeling back to your old self soon!

Cathy said...

Davey sounds like a sweetheart! I'm sure Keith will come around, he needs to adjust. And Mikey is so incredibly precious! I hope you feel more like your old self quickly.

Megan said...

PS - Is Keith your second child? My second child was also the one who didn't adapt well to the new baby. She wouldn't even look at the baby for an entire fortnight!!! It settled down, and they are good friends now, but she still has a bit of a competitive thing going on there. Part of being a middle-child I think?

Anonymous said...

Coming soon to an airport near you--your Constant,faithful,eager--and loving--Mumzie!

Wendy said...

I can't believe you popped to my blog you are so busy at the moment. Thank you for your lovely comment. I hope you energy levels pick up very soon but keep on resting as much as possible. Your old keith will be back because he has parents who understand what he is adjusting to at present. Big changes for everyone but lovely ones.

capello said...

I'm so glad you got lots of help the past few days. The first six weeks are such a wirlwind of activity!

I'm glad everyone seems to be doing well, I'm sending healing thoughts to you and a better attitude for Keith.

madmommy said...

As my munchkin just turned one, I had to think back to the delivery (emergency c-section, so not much to remember as I was out!) But the recovery I certainly remember! It was months before I could roll onto my side comfortably without feeling like the incision was ripping apart!
But your baby is adorable! Makes the pain MUCH more bearable! Congratulations!

kimberly said...

What a cute picture! I certainly hope you're feeling better now! I can imagine how hard it is with 3. Do you remember the days with just one? You could concentrate on everything and just enjoy your baby. I think that's one of the things that keeps me from wanting a third.
I love the ice cream story. He's so cute.