Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Jordan Quilt

An old high school friend, whom I've been out of contact with for about 5 years, sent out a mass email announcing the birth of his child last week--a daughter named Jordan. The excitement of a first baby was palpable: the beaming faces of the parents; dad's eyes full of pride; and the mom, oh my. She had just gone through a 26 hour labor and there she was looking dead tired, but exuding joy. Too precious. So I thought to myself, I've gotta make these people something. Good thing my quilting machine is set up. And though I didn't officially join the use what you have challenge, this would definitely have qualified.
Here's the front:

Here's the back: Here's a close-up:
Strip quilting. Gotta love it. This thing came together so quickly, even my husband was impressed.

17 comments:

kathy said...

This is gorgeous. I love the fabrics. I'm totally into piecing my backs right now so I love seeing quilts like yours. It adds a great dimension to the quilt. Jordan is a very lucky baby.

autum said...

Wow! What a beautiful quilt. I love the colors. I'm sure baby Jordan and her parents will love it.

Rosa said...

That is so beautiful! It looks like an antique. Very lucky baby to receive something made with love.

lindiepindie said...

It looks so pretty, Jojo. I really like backs that are just as pretty as the fronts as well.

babybug said...

beautiful, pretty and so delicate looking!

the painted pear said...

That is beautiful and nice to hear that it came together so easily! And yes the back is as pretty as the front!

Dawn said...

I love it!! They will love it!!

capello said...

Oh, that's beautiful.

I have all my material washed (but not ironed - yet) for my first official quilt and I'm paniking. Do I really want to do a crazy quilt? What about a strip quilt? Or a nine patch? But that sounds like too much work. Argh!

You heard me say "panic," right?

In any case, I'm very impressed. That quilt is amazingly lovely.

Lisa D. said...

A very cute quilt! Love it!

kimberly said...

Gorgeous. You are good!

Angela said...

That is SOOOOO beautiful! What a lovely gift. Great colors.

Erin said...

What a wonderful gift. Lovely fabrics too.

Megan said...

It's really lovely.

Dana said...

It's lovely! I have a quilt for my wonderful nephew that is still not made yet. He will be one next month! How could that happen?! I love the strips! What a nice gift, I'm sure it will be cherished.

Sandrine (alias Didine ♥ ) said...

Your quilt is soooo beautiful !! I love it ! Thank you so much for your sweet words on my blog ! You touched me :) Smooches

Mirre said...

Very sweet of you to make a present! And such a lovely one too!!

Bessilu said...

Oh I just saw this and I love it! I want to try something like this? How did you do the quilting part? By hand or machine? What a nice gift!