Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Crayon Rolls and Tissue Pouches

Thanks for all your positive comments on the gift tags. It was fun hearing from new people too! And of course, it made me feel good that anyone would actually want something I made. Heh heh. They should be going out in today's mail. I'm also working on a drawing of a spool so that I can offer up "handmade by ____" gift tags soon for people who aren't into knitting. Stay tuned! :)



I worked on a variation of a crayon roll last weekend. I first spotted these on Colorfool and Happythings. We have some little friends with birthdays coming up, so I thought I'd churn some of these out. Mine are made to hold Crayola Twistables. Of course, my favorite one is the girly one made with patched-together fabric and the big zig zags.

Another quickie project to share--more tissue holders. I'm using up the linen and flower fabric that I used for my sock yarn pouch.
One more thing--if I knew you better, I might post a belly picture that Dave took of me this morning. Oh my word! Can I just say, this baby is all elbows and knees. I've never seen so many angles sticking out from my belly before. Davey was the kicker, Keith used to rub around, and this guy sticks his elbow out and leaves it there, so I have a 90 degree angle that protrudes about 3 inches. And, yes, it hurts! What's the name of that little alien that lives in that guy's belly? I can't remember the title of the movie, either. Refresh my memory.
edited to add: Of course my hubby remembers that weird belly guy---it's Kuatro from Total Recall. Remember him?

16 comments:

autum said...

Those crayon rolls are going to be great gifts. I love the linen tissue pouches too. How long till your little guy makes his appearance?

capello said...

Love the tissue holders and crayon rolls. I still haven't made any. Hrmph.

And I think the move you're talking about is "Alien"... but I'm not sure (but I do know it's not any of the Star Wars). :-)

Ali said...

Wonderful presents - love that road sign fabric.

Ali said...

Wonderful presents - love that road sign fabric.

Funky Finds said...

Awesome work! Crayon rolls are so "in" right now. I love that! Nice job.

Megan said...

These are so cool, I love how you combine fabrics so well.

kimberly said...

Ok, first of all you need to be a bit more cocky! Your work is really amazing. Don't you dare say you are surprised that people would want it again. If you're worried send it all to me, I love it.
Secondly I love those darn crayon pouches, it's such a cool idea. I'm all for the girly things too. Lastly, I'm amazed at how much you get done with 2 boys and a belly that's bulging beyond bulge. When I was that pregnant all I could do was sit and knit and hope to get off the couch. I'm thoroughly impressed and I'm not just saying it. If you knew me in person, which I'd love someday, you'd know I say it like it is.
I'd love to see your belly picture. I know how you feel, I wouldn't put my pregnant belly on my blog either. Sorry I'm rambling and need to get so many things done, but you're worth it!

joyce said...

aahhh...you're pregnant too! congratulations! i love the tissue pouches and crayon/pencil pouch.

Megan said...

PS - I want to see the weird belly picture.

weirdbunny said...

I know babies are a bit awkward sometimes, but just think how squashed they must be! Ahh it reminds me of my pregnancies and I'm all sentimental now!

Pink Rocket said...

cute! jerrett saw those and said i had to make on for him! he even picked the fabric out!

Angela said...

Your crayon rolls turned out soooo cute! Great fabric choices too. 8-)I remember those jagged belly days. I bet your belly is beautiful.

Suse said...

My boys have crayon rolls too. One side has crayon sized holders and the other side has long thin pouches for pencils.

I love those tissue holders. Did you do the clever thing and invent the pattern yourself? I would love to make one but wouldn't have a clue how to do it.

the painted pear said...

Those are super. What a neat idea for a kids gift. I love all the fabrics. I remember the weird feeling of an elbow or knee or foot protuding out. It makes it so incredibly real. Profound. There is a baby in there! Really, ooooooh, need I remind myself I did it THREE times. I sound like I never had a child. Can't wait for you though. The clock is ticking. BTW, did I ask you if you know what your having? I never found out, but if I were pregnant, one last time.....I would consider it.

Mirre said...

Crayon rolls... what a great idea!
I'm going to remember that!

Amy said...

Brillant how you tapered the ends of the flaps on the crayon rolls. Nice job! The patchwork one is my favorite too.