Sunday, May 28, 2006

Another Totebag


It's funny how I have certain feelings towards the things I make depending on who they're being made for. This little totebag is for a girlfriend of Davey's who will be turning 5 next week. She's cute, nicely dressed, and addresses me in the most respectful of ways (in a sing-songy voice), "Hi Mrs. ______." She's also tough as nails. This little girl has, on occasion, been known to kick my son in the shins and yell, "you are not my friend." That hurts my feelings, I think, more than it hurts his. The whole time I was making this totebag, I was muttering under my breath...I wonder if she knows she doesn't really deserve this? I should just buy her a tote bag at Target. So why DID I make this for her? The truth is (aside from needing an excuse to make cute girly things)......her mom is my friend.

I could go on and on about the parenting thing. I've seen so many parents that just let their kids get away with murder, but I have confidence that this girl will turn out well because she has a mom who gets in her face when she does hurtful things, explains why it is hurtful, and makes her apologize. For that reason, I know that she will learn the difference between right and wrong and will learn to develop thoughtfulness and a caring attitude that will get her far in life. I know she's not there yet (and sometimes, frankly, neither am I). Sometimes, we just need someone who sees us honestly as we are, who nurtures the goodness that is already there, and who helps us to become the people that we were meant to be. This little girl has that. Would that we all.....

11 comments:

Ali said...

What lovely colours. I'm with you on the 'feelings depending on recipient' thing.

If I cook when I'm cross it always turns out bad - my mother calls it ill-will cooking.

Good for the little friend's mum for not giving up on her.

autum said...

The bag is beautiful! I have felt the same way about friend's children. Not all were like your friend though and recognized and corrected bad behaviour.

the painted pear said...

AW, that is a sweet bag, and overall, a made gift is way better than a bought one. (So I have been told recently, anyway).

But that was a funny little thing to openly say. I have felt the same way when making something, like for christmas, for someone. Do/are they going to appreciate it, and why I am going through all this effort?

That is a very sweet bag, and it looks so professional with that label!!!!!!

punkinpieproductions said...

the bag is nice...
Doing something nice for those that don't deserve it is a testing thing to do.
But her mom is worth it and hopefully she'll rub of her goodness onto her!
ps-I also know that kids are kids, but they do need corrected

Lora said...

That is a precious bag!! Where did you get the pattern for that!!
It's beautiful!!
I have problems with making stuff for little stinkers too, but most stinkers I'm around, I am good friends with their parents and hope it's just a phase.

Megan said...

However you feel about it, the bag is beautiful. Really lovely fabric indeed.

Kimberly said...

What a great bag-the colors are so me! The lace is also a great accent. Are you sure you don't want to be a part of the bagaholics? I see lots and lots of potential here!
Oh I have some friends whose kids are not at all my favorite but for my friends I would overlook that. Genes can be genes and thank goodness we don't all think alike. Hang in there, good things will happen if her mother is a good friend of yours, then her genes must be ok. I hope that made sense, it's late for me!

capello said...

That is a very sweet bag.

I have a hard time with some kids too, I kinda look at them and think "oh, they'll be the ones that do this, that and the other." It's hard to remember sometimes that they are just kids, and hopefully will have proper guideance (like your friend) to help mold them into wonderful people.

Pink Rocket said...

the fabric is gorgoeus! i like the tote too!

i made all my christmas gifts this last time and, let me tell ya, there were a few moments where i didn't even want to "give it my all" for some people...I was like, "they'll probably just throw it away or something"

weirdbunny said...

You are so kind to make her that bag. I'm sure she'll love you for it.

Mirre said...

Such a cute little bag, Joanna!!
The tag is wonderful...