Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Amy Butler meets Denyse Schmidt

For awhile now I've really admired all those Japanese craft book inspired bags. I decided to use a pattern that I've had for awhile--the Amy ButlerInTown bag. I've heard people mention that when they make this bag following the instructions, it really could use a little more support/interfacing, so I decided this would be a good candidate. This was made from some new fabric from Belinda. This is what I came up with.



I'm in love. I decided to do the Denyse Schmidt zig-zaggy quilting thing. This was so fun--a great break from all the quilting I've been working on.

In other news, I've got about 4 weeks before this babe gets here, and am starting to feel overwhelmed by all there is to do. I haven't even pulled out the baby clothes yet. I'm thinking I need to do that soon so I can wash it all, but I can't even keep up with daily laundry, how am I supposed to do even more? Argh! Other things to do: clean the minivan, paint Keith's new dresser--the boys are in the process of moving into the same bedroom, straighten out the pantry, clean up all the craft stuff that has taken over my bedroom and dining room (and I don't want to do that until I get all the crafting done that needs to get done--I have 2 more quilts to finish and few little projects...). So, all that and the general feeling of dragging my fat bod around, it's a little daunting. I know, I know, I should relax. But my in-laws are coming to help with the boys when I'm recovering from c-section (for which I am soooo grateful). I can't exactly have cereal boxes falling on them when they open the pantry, right? I don't want to give them the idea that we live in squalor, which we do, but let's just keep that between you and me.

17 comments:

the painted pear said...

Oh, the button on that bag just makes me drool. It looks like it was fun to make, all those zig zags. Actually, it looks like a super diaper bag. Fashionable, as my maddy would say.

And I think it was said recently, house cleaning is overrated. Just tidy up a bit. he he

rebecca said...

love the bag!!! hang in there, i know 4 weeks feels like an eternity when you are pregnant and uncomfortable.

lindiepindie said...

The bag looks great. And you aren't fat, your just pregnant - you'll be your skinny self soon!

Stephanie said...

fabulous bag. It looks great with the quilting, what a good idea.

Angela said...

What a cute bag! Love the zig-zagging.
With all you have/want to do, those 4 weeks are going to fly...take time to breathe. 8-)

capello said...

The bag is adorable!

And don't worry about getting everything done, you've got four weeks left and you're crafting -- it should be no problem at all!

Mirre said...

Lots to do, but take it easy!!

Your bag looks wonderful!

Belinda said...

The bag looks great, love the fabric of course!! Take it easy, I'm sure it will all come together.

kimberly said...

Great bag! I love the quilting on it.
Don't send your in-laws to me or they'd surely be screaming bloody murder. I don't let anyone within 5 feet of this place-I like my friends and don't want anyone hightailing it out of here because of the mess. And I'm not pregnant!! Don't worry-they've surely been there before and will have understanding about it all.
As far as craft stuff all over-are you sure you don't live in my house? I have to sew on the same table we eat, play and pretty much live on so I have to leave it all up an running in the background otherwise I go crazy taking things out and putting them away. Just trying to throw in some words of encouragement. Don't you just hate cravity?? It increases the further you are along in your pregnancy. They'll turn it off when the babies here. :o)

Megan said...

What a wonderful bag! Being heavily pregnant with young kids to care for is just plain hard work, I'm amazed at you for getting anything extra done.

Mijk said...

By the way yous ure shifted into nesting gear didn't you? Hope you manage to what you went without overdoing it (I never could find the balance!)

weirdbunny said...

Panic always sets in at the end of a pregnancy, they call it nesting. This overwhelming urge to sort everything out. That ziz zag quilting is just superb.

Amy said...

Quite impressed! The quilting is lovely - what a fun little tote for summer!

Sandrine (alias Didine ♥ ) said...

This is soooooo lovely ! You made a wonderful job ! I wish you to have the more pleasant four last weeks of pregnancy !! Smooches

Erin said...

What a terrific bag! Love quilting detail.

craftymodster said...

Beautiful bag! You are an uber talent. AND...you'll have another babe in arms before you know it. What joy! Hang in there, mama.

beki said...

I LOVE the bag!

Don't worry about all you have to do. As the day gets closer your proiorities will change, mine did. There's plenty I never got around to doing and probably won't for a while now. Oh well. I can't wait to start crafting again!