Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Sushi Anyone?

I'm a little bummed I didn't know how to make bags last year. Last Christmas we got my brother and sister-in-law a bunch of stuff to make sushi, since they don't live anywhere near an Asian food store. The little bamboo roller, rice paddle, seaweed, chopsticks and all those goodies would have been so fun to put in a little backpack like this, don't you think? I'm crazy about good presentation. Anyway, I've learned my lesson....

Front:
Back:
Opened--look how it stands straight up like a bucket.

BTW, I made this without a pattern, but it's really easy. Just a circle for the bottom (I traced around a small plate), a tube for the body made from 2 separate pieces, a ring tab sticking out of the bottom of the back to connect the straps, one loooong strap and 8 grommets. I love grommets!!! (I saw this cute little bag on Carol's blog and decided I need to have more grommets in my life.) Everything is reinforced with fusible fleece.

I'm not really a backpack type of person, so this bag works well for me. I can pull both sides of the straps through the top front and just hang it from my shoulder. Yay.

In other exciting news, I had a doc appt. today and we nailed down the date for the c-section. June 15th!! 10 weeks and 2 days until we get to meet the little squirt!

14 comments:

babybug said...

ohhh the bag! it's really really nice! i love sushi, too. i could eat it everyday. where did you find the great material?

lindiepindie said...

The bag looks great! I love how it stands up by itself. Is that decorator fabric - it looks nice and sturdy.

Bec of the Ladies Lounge said...

what a great bag! I wish I was so clever... But I can make sushi so feel a little less inadequate.

Here via a comment you left on Suse's (Pea Soup's) blog. I love the Stardust Shoes story in your profile!

kimberly said...

Oh I love the bag! What a great idea for a backpack. The store where I bought my sewing machine has tons of sushi fabric right now-it's just 17 EURO a meter so it's out of my reach. We are a big sushi eating family. Before the kids came along we ate sushi once a week, not always with raw fish but definitely sushi. I did the rolling and Martin the cutting. We are a sushi making team. yum yum
I also love your covington bag. I need to get in gear and get bags going.

Dawn said...

I really like this bag. Thanks for the heads up on the how-to of making it!!

beki said...

Cute bag! Novelty fabric is so much fun.

Congrats on setting the date. I've finally been scheduled as well. Now it's just a matter of counting down the days...

kmckiernan said...

I love sushi and the bag is so pretty (and yummy too!) =)

Congratulations on setting the date!

capello said...

Great bag! It looks like you could be picnicing all way up to deliver day!

the painted pear said...

Congrats on the date...the countdown begins!
Nice bag, and neat to know you didn't use a pattern. I hate using patterns, recipes, even directions...

Angela said...

That bag is so cute! I may have to try it one day.

Funky Finds said...

Absolutely LOVE this bag! So cute!!!

Mirre said...

Great fabric & bag!
I didn't know you were pregnant... congratulations!

Carol said...

How cute! I've never seen that fabric before. Love just about anything sushi-themed...and the real thing of course!

megan said...

Great bag, and you MADE UP the pattern??? Love the fabric.f