Monday, April 03, 2006

Covington Bag



I finally made Amy Butler's Covington bag with the Tracy Porter fabric I got recently. I've had the pattern for awhile, but just never got around to making it. I'm so glad I did. I learned so many things that are probably very obvious to anyone who makes bags a lot, but I now feel so enlightened about the bag-making process.

-Fusible interfacing rules!!! I've used the sew-on stuff in the past. Fusible saves a ton of time.

-The pattern pieces have straight edges, so I used my straight edge and rotary cutter. I didn't even have to pin the pattern to the fabric. The fabric practically cut itself. Look ma, no scissors.

-Who knew that the little drawstring mechanism worked like that? Two separate drawstrings working against each other to pull the bag tight. Hmmmm. I'd never really thought about it before.

-Straps. Ah, the straps. Cutting wide strips, ironing them in half and then bringing the two edges into the middle, ironing them down and then folding in half. Sewing close to the edge on both sides. Looks so professional.

Sorry if it seems like I'm blabbering, but the whole experience was very good for me. If you've never made this bag, I highly recommend it. I now feel like I can go out and conquer the world!

16 comments:

Suse said...

Oh my, that bag is just superb. I am sooo impressed!

Mirre said...

I really like your bag and that fabric is gorgeous!
I'm glad making it was such a good experience for you :)

Rosa said...

It looks amazing. You got me wanting to buy a AB pattern and make a bag.

autum said...

Very pretty!! I love your choice of fabric.

the painted pear said...

That is a gorgeous bag. I enjoyed reading the things you learned. Will reread them againg. The strap I found exceptionally interesting.
Looks like you had a nice weekend!!

beki said...

Your bag looks great! I love the fabric you choose.

lindiepindie said...

The bag looks really nice - I like the fabric you chose for the outside and liner. Are you a purse-aholic yet? I'm addicted. I have this pattern, but haven't made it yet. It's on my list of things to get to...

rebecca said...

beautiful! definitely looks very professional!

craftymodster said...

Your bag is lovely-lovely! Nice, fresh and Spring-like. I believe I am going to attempt an Amy Butler bag for the SewIKnit-along project. I've had the pattern for a year. I'd be about time to try it.

I agree with you on the fusible i! It's super!
A

Angela said...

My, my, my...look at you! That is a fab bag! That is how I made my straps too! I LOVE making them on bags. They seem so professional and you can be so proud of them. Great work. More stuff I must get around to making. ahhhh!

Carol said...

Your bag turned out beautifully! Just in time for spring.

Sarah said...

Great job! Love that fabric.

babybug said...

OMG!!! i don't read your blog for the weekend and look what i get to see, bags! not one, but two! SUPER! you are good, girl!

kathy said...

Beautiful bag. I love your choice of fabrics. Great for the style of purse. I have that pattern too and haven't made it yet. Thanks for the inspiration.

Erin said...

Oh! You did it!!! It's gorgeous. Your fabric combination is absolute lovliness!

Heather said...

I love the bag! I just bought this pattern and love the Tracy Porter fabrics. I just finished a quilt out of her fabrics and I LOVE it! I made it as a gift and I don't know how I'm going to part with it!f