Saturday, March 11, 2006

New Fabric

I happened upon a new-to-me blog the other day called My Spare Time and saw this adorable bag. I've seen bags similar to this lately all over the place, but I really liked the more muted fabric colors. So I emailed Sarah to find out where she got them, and guess what???? They're Tracy Porter fabrics from JOANN's! Yeah! And I'm so happy because I'm a tightwad and it's sooo hard for me spend $9 or more for a yard of fabric. And I just happened to have some birthday money from my in-laws burning a hole in my purse. And the best part? They all happened to be 30% off. So lookie-lookie at what I got:

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. Might just have to break down and make myself a cute little Amy Butler Covington bag. I've had the pattern for quite some time now, but never found a floral fabric that really spoke to me. We'll see..... Whatever I make it'll have to be done after I get finished with all the baby quilts (4 of them now) and blockswap stuff.

I'm going to be taking a little bloggie break for the next few days, since my hubby is out of town (again!!!) and I want to be able to give my boys some extra love and attention this week. So if you don't hear from me for a few days, you'll know why. I'm fortunate that he doesn't have to leave on business trips too often, but when he does, it just makes me so sad. 14 years ago, before we were married we dated long-distance for a little over a year--this was long before email, by the way. He was teaching English in Taiwan, and I was finishing my last year of college in Michigan. We'd call each other on weekends (those phone bills were huge!) and write each other every other day. Oh, the longing, the pining, the constant feeling that something was missing. And worrying about him all the time, hoping that he was alright and not lying somewhere in a hospital bed where no one knew where to get in touch with me or his family. And now, when he goes on his trips, I still feel all that, and sometimes I guess it's a good thing. I know someone who LOVES it when her husband goes on business trips! Loves the freedom to do whatever she wants when she wants. I can't relate to that at all. Anyway, wish me luck. I'm going to have my hands full this week. And my big ole pregnant belly is making everything--leaning, reaching, lifting, walking--just a little more difficult. Only 3-1/2 months to go. I'm counting the days already!

p.s. Keith's new sentence pattern of the week: This ______ is too hard as a rock for me.
i.e. When looking in the pantry: "This vinegar is too hard as a rock for me."
When getting out of the van and spotting dad's bike: "Daddy's bicycle is too hard as a rock for me." Where does he get this stuff? What a crack up.

10 comments:

colorfool said...

Beautiful fabric! Can't wait to see what you make.Enjoy your bloggie break.

beki said...

Those fabrics are gorgeous! Oh, how I wish we had a JoAnn's here. I love how muted and soft they are.

Good luck this week. I don't think I'd be able to handle it. I need my husband here with me now more than ever!

lindiepindie said...

Hey - I went fabric shopping this weekend, too! I have seen those fabrics around also and wondered where they were from.

Let me just say that if my husband were gone, blogging would definitely be too hard as a rock for me.

kimberly said...

Thanks for the link to that cute bag-now I've got another thing I want to make. :)
I know what you mean about not having hubby around and not liking it. I miss Martin when he goes out to dinner with his colleagues. I even wait up for him no matter what time he comes home.
Take a break and enjoy your time with the boys. I'll be here when you get back. :)

tasha said...

i love the pink flowers (top of pile) in the first pic. i lovelovelove the sand dollar fabric!

Sarah said...

I love all of those fabrics! You're building up a big stash for yourself!! I'm only jealous!
Enjoy your break.

the painted pear said...

Enjoy your break! I lean a little more to the "don't mind when my husband travels! Though if I was pregnant, that would be a different story altogether! (didn't know you were pregnant, congratulations!!!! that is wonderful....take it easy)

See my husband's nickname is captain caveman. Have you ever seen that cartoon, where this little brown, hairy, guy with a large drumstick in this hands, comes into a situation, spinning like a hurricane. Well that is my hubby! So during a school week, I find, that we have an early supper and off to bed. No super fun daddy to come from work and cause distractions. Now weekends are different. I only like it if he travels mid-week!

Anyway, enough bout me. Enjoy your fabric too! Yeah for Joanns! Maybe a nice diaper bag or baby quilt....?

Mirre said...

Absolutely lovely fabrics!
Good luck being by yourself!

Carol said...

Lovely fabric...I especially like the green leaves on blue, and the green with white and lavender lotus root slices...thanks for sharing! And I love your son's quote of the week...tee hee hee...perhaps he tried to pick up a heavy rock recently??

Erin said...

Beautiful fabrics. Let me know how you like making the Covington bag, if you make it. That's actually the project I'm working on now--I used the exact fabric as on the pattern (very unoriginal, but I loved it!) and so far, the pattern has been really easy to follow (meaning, I haven't had to rip anything out!!)